Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 1500A The right hand blinkers work as they should but the left side lights all work but very dim. Any ideas? The flasher?

·
Administrator
24,869 Posts
The flasher works both sides, so no, it's not the flasher. Dim usually indicates a bad ground.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used my emergency flashers two weeks ago when riding in the fog and they were fine. Now I just tried them and they worked but the left side still dim. BUT NOW the only way I can shut them off is by pushing the blinker switch in. Now when I try the blinkers the four ways come on and I have to push the blinker switch again to shut them off. When the four ways are on the lights verily blink.

·
Administrator
21,999 Posts
Clean the switch. That's probably where the bad ground is. If you are going to use contact cleaner, make sure you test it on some other plastic first, and get some dielectric grease to lube the switches and coat things.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
There are only three wires on the Hazard switch.

1. Input power from the Hazard relay.

2. Output power to the left signal lights.

3. Output power to the right signal lights.

I don't believe your "dim" lights are caused by the Hazard switch.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I used my emergency flashers two weeks ago when riding in the fog and they were fine. Now I just tried them and they worked but the left side still dim. BUT NOW the only way I can shut them off is by pushing the blinker switch in. Now when I try the blinkers the four ways come on and I have to push the blinker switch again to shut them off. When the four ways are on the lights verily blink.
Are you absolutely sure of what you are saying. The 4 ways are pretty much independent of the turn lights for the most part. It is common to turn on the hazards and have them stick on if you do not use the hazards very often. The hazard button sticks on from lack of use. Again this is common however pushing the turn light cancel switch should not turn them off. freeing up the sticky 4 way switch is the fix there usually. The dim turn light might well be a bad connection where the bulb base contacts the socket. The next thing I would check would be the connectors that are located in the lower corner panels below the saddle bags. Eventually the left and right turn lights are spliced together and go to the same ground. No ground wires or connections are routed through the switch. The ground circuit is just a simple wire that goes from the base of the socket to a ground that the left and right share.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank's all for the help! This morning I got the four way switch working, it was stuck in. Now the four ways won't come on with the four way switch until I turn the blinker switch ether way and they will come on but the left does nothing and the right sides verily work.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Thank's all for the help! This morning I got the four way switch working, it was stuck in. Now the four ways won't come on with the four way switch until I turn the blinker switch ether way and they will come on but the left does nothing and the right sides verily work.
Its about time you start looking for the bad ground....!!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its about time you start looking for the bad ground....!!
I tried back feeding a ground threw the left marker light and it made no difference. The side marker lights, running and tail lights all work with the key. I have full power to the left marker light when the key is on but when I try the blinker power drops slightly. Is it still a ground problem when all the other lights work as they should Thank's

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
I tried back feeding a ground threw the left marker light and it made no difference. The side marker lights, running and tail lights all work with the key. I have full power to the left marker light when the key is on but when I try the blinker power drops slightly. Is it still a ground problem when all the other lights work as they should Thank's
Why are you messing with the "Marker Light" circuit...????:frown2:

You have a ground issue with the "Turn Signal" circuit.

Read post # 2 and post # 3 again.....!!

When are you going to check the turn signal bulbs and sockets....??????

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I took the front left blinker out and everything looks good, then I ran a jumper wire from the battery ground to the bulb base and the blinker light is still dim.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
OK I took the front left blinker out and everything looks good, then I ran a jumper wire from the battery ground to the bulb base and the blinker light is still dim.
If you know you have a good ground at the bulb by jumping to the negative on the battery there are two possibilities. Either the bulb is bad or you have resistance in the power circuit somewhere. Check all contacts starting with the bulb, then the socket and keep working backwards. A voltage drop test would be the best test if you are familiar with that. You use a voltmeter and put one probe on each side of a contact, switch or plug. You should have a reading near zero or zero. If you find a whole volt or two etc. The problem is between the two voltmeter probe locations. If you find the rear is dim I would really suspect the turn light switch as it powers front and rear.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was very little voltage going to the blinker side of the bulb.Good news and bad news, I couldn't find anything wrong with the rear blinker so I dropped my left tail light where I have my trailer plug mounted and the blinkers started to work and I can't get the to quit again. I will have to trace the wiring to see if I can find the problem, any ideas what is going on?

Thank's for the help!!!!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I cut the wires to the trailer plug and isolated them. The wife doesn't ride anymore so I don't need the trailer. The only thing now is when I want to use the four ways I have to push the switch and turn the blinker on to make them work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts