Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The valve tapping on the 1200 is not going away as quick as it used to, so I figure it’s time to clean out the oil passages for the cam, probably has some crud in there. Can anyone tell me,if I have to remove the timing belt to do this? Or am I going to be lucky and just unbolt the cam holder, clean out the passages and reinstall?

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

How about a SEAFOAM treatment? Add it to the oil as per the directions on the can, run about a hundred miles and change the oil and filter.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

What D-Rod said. There are some oil treatments out there that will help but I doubt your oil passages are plugged. The 1200's are good for lifter tapping now and then but clean oil and plenty of oil changes seem to do the trick. Has the bike been sitting for long and is it real cold starting the bike there? What cleared it up for me was Castrol Syntech 10W-40. It hasn't ticked since. Just my experience with it.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replies guys, I do use MMO just about every 3rd oil change, add it, ride for 200 miles, then change oil and filter, and yes, MMO does help keep things clean. However, no, MMO will not clean these oil passages. The 1200 has a known issue with these passages and after 110,000 miles I believe it's about time to clean them out. Others have found a crud build up in them, and have informed us that the only way to clean it out was by removing the cam holder and then cleaning out the passages. I can't remember if you must remove the timing belt.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

You're probably right with that many miles on it. I can't say for sure but I would think the cam would need to be taken out. Hopefully somebody else will be along. You should have a lot of miles left in her.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

bump

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

If it's the same designe as the 1100 then you'll have to take off the timing belt to take the cam and holder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.