Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

keep blowing fuse, sus. changed to non air rear, bought bike recently, no probs until started cleaning chrome. took off light bars, and put back together, now no oil, temp, suspension, 5 amp fuse blows, any suggestions? tried following wires. (frustrated) anyone have this problem? I removed wires to light bars

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
imported post

Which fuse is it blowing? The in line for the suspension or one of the fuses in the fuse box? Where were the lights you removed connected?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

lekata56 wrote:
keep blowing fuse, sus. changed to non air rear, bought bike recently, no probs until started cleaning chrome. took off light bars, and put back together, now no oil, temp, suspension, 5 amp fuse blows, any suggestions? tried following wires. (frustrated) anyone have this problem? I removed wires to light bars
You will have to probably disconnect each wire to find the culprit. That would be the easiest thing to do. You could also have a short where you removed the wires. Also, the Suspension Sensor might be misintrepreting there are no air shochs on the rear and blow??

Hope this helps,

Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thank you for your replies. The 5amp fuse(temp, oil, suspention) in the fuse box keeps blowing. The lights I removed were connected to the tail light(one wire)They were the light bars for the trunk and bags. I also just read about the suspension sensor and will check that out when it stops raining(along with the other wires). Thanks agian for the replies. This is a great forum and much appriciated

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
imported post

The info I have doesn't show a temp, oil, susp. fuse. There is a 5A engine fuse that runs all the gauges and a 5A park light fuse. The air pump is powered off the park light fuse. The rear air sensor can't blow a fuse, the sensor grounds when there is sufficient pressure to make the light go off so obviously can't be a short.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I put Progressive shocks on my 82 and what I did for the air sensor light was to remove the switch and jumper the 2 wires together. Now the light operates normally, comes on for 3 seconds when key turned on then goes out as normal. You may need to do this to eliminate it as a source of a short.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
The info I have doesn't show a temp, oil, susp. fuse. There is a 5A engine fuse that runs all the gauges and a 5A park light fuse. The air pump is powered off the park light fuse. The rear air sensor can't blow a fuse, the sensor grounds when there is sufficient pressure to make the light go off so obviously can't be a short.
To build further on this, that same 5 amp engine fuse provides power to the 7 volt regulator for the gas and temp guages, the ecu, the spark units and all the dash lights. All of these also share a common ground. So what I'd do is remove the flase tank, get a 12 volt trouble light and start tracing wires. I'd also trace all the green ground wires to their connection points on the frame and clean them.

The tail lights are on a separate line and fuse so disconnecting the extra light bars shouldn't be affecting the guages and the guage lights.

I've been studing the schematic for the last 15 minutes to get to this point.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

thanks for your time and input, I will continue to work on it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.