Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

been trying to resolve issue on my 82 gl1100 with blowing fuses the ground wire is showing 12 volts . replaced complete wiring harness and handlebar controls as well still have power to ground, also changed ignition switch. any help appreciated is solving this mystery , also i am looking for a detailed wiring diagram of wiring thats inside black box behind fairing :baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled:if you need any more info to help me i am glad to answer all questions !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

not sure where your problem is --but--- there is a color wiering digram in the FAQ section put up by wiskerfish. its for 75 to 82 . just pick yours out.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

If you have replaced the entire wire harness and controls, then its not likely you have any wires shorting out inside the harness or to ground.

Just off the top I woudl start to look at my internal parts that generat voltage, like the regulator and alternator/stator for possible shorts to the frame, engineor to the main green ground wire.

Also make sure you have a good frame ground.

Whichfuses is it blowing?

There is a big black box behind the front fairing mounted to the front forks whihc is a weight, and sometimes at first look can appear to be a wiring junction box.

Good Luck and let us know how its going.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Remove all the fuses from the fuse block, then with the bike turned OFF and the battery removed, check to see which of the fuse connectors in the fuse block have a short to ground (use an ohm meter between the fuse block where the fuse clips in, and ground). They should show open circuit or very close to it. The one that shows a closed circuit, or close to it (anything less than 10K) is your problem. That will at least give you an idea of where to start looking.

If none of them show a short to ground, then check the OTHER side of the fuse block (the supply side) the same way. If that shows a short to ground, then the problem is somewhere between the battery and the main fuse block.

If that's the case, then pull the master fuse (dogbone, or its replacement if you have replaced it). Do the same test on that fuse holder. If it shows a short on the bike side, then the problem is somewhere between the master fuse and the fuse block. It could also be the solenoid or starter. If it shows a short on the battery side, then the problem is with your battery cable.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

Just what ground wire is showing 12 volts? Depending on how you connected the meter and to what that could be normal.A ground wire that is not grounded and is connected to components that have power to them is going to show voltage.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

the fuse that is blowing is the one to the fuel gauge and other associated things. i disconnected the sending unit it still blows the fuse. i may have a bad voltage regulator. it tested bad. i am going to get one to see if that solves the problem. thanks all for your help. i will keep you posted after receiving the new part, steve

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

That fuse powers several things, tail light sensor, all the gauges and warning lights. Maybe other things I couldn't find on the schematic. It's a blue/brown wire. You will just have to disconnect everything and reconnect one at a time until you find it.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

If you have aftermaket running lights check out the wiring for them. You may have a short there.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

i will check out the 7 volt regulator inside the gauge cluster today to see if it has a short. these are very hard to find , but i think i can get one off ebay if i need one after checking it, thanks all for your support , i will keep you posted on my progress:action:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

GSMacLean you are a genius !!! i unscrewed the 7 volt regulator and un plugged the wires all but one going to gauges. turned on key and checked for voltage i was getting 12 volts thru the ground ( green wire) from the regulator i hooked up the other wire and turned key on everything worked, but i noticed fuel gauge started to climb so i ran an alternate ground to the two gauge ( GREEN ) wires and everything works correctly now. i am going to purchase a new regulator soon as possible. thanks for all your help.

i have been redoing this bike since it was setting for lots of years. BOUGHT IT AT AN AUCTION WITH 19,000 MILES ) :action:hope to be riding soon as weather permits . thanks everyone for your input what a great place to come for help for your goldwing. steve:action::clapper:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.