Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Still going to blow it out.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never ever ever ever ever blow out an air cleaner.
I never thought about this until a warranty tech with a small engine company told me something about some engine problems they were having.
Since most of engines were being used in lawn care the operators were blowing them out with compressed air. I have done the same thing.
What was happening was the dirt was getting blown out of the filter but also some of the small fibers that catch the smallest pieces of dirt, dust and debris.
Now the smallest particles could pass thru the filter.
Those small particles traveled into the cylinder where they act like sand paper damaging the cylinder, piston and valves.
The light went on when he said this and I never forgot it.
Small engine filters I tap them out and use a paint brush to remove the residue.
As for motorcycles and autos, I replace them.
Of course if you have a pre-filter you can get some more life out of your filter. On a Goldwing change it.
Oh also:
When changing your filter put some screen over the end of intake tubes to keep rodents out. Believe me it happens. Use something like 1/4” chicken wire so they can’t chew thru.
Just imagine something chewing thru your filter and storing stuff on top of the intake throat and then you start it up and crack the throttle. Pucker factor here! Not good.
This is all my 2 cents worth and use it or not your choice.
Good luck and happy riding.
Richard
Retired mechanic
50 years experience

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,757 Posts
a small bit of truth to the story....

except, when I get through blowing the air through the filter, I then direct the nozzle Across the filter....
that gets rid of the fiber contaminants...

The manual that came with my Bad Boy Zero Turn mower, states to remove the air filter often, and either replace it, or blow the dirt off of it, and put it back....

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
Or you could just put a K&N in it and get dirt in your engine anyway. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I voted no. But I am not going to change the filter until it is done, fried. Not worth blowing out. I will be 80 (I am 61 this year) before I change it again.....if I make it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts