Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
big PIA
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My stupidity did me in again.

When I changer my left head gasket I got my bike running great, but as far as radiator I filled it thru overflow as thats the only cap I could find.

I overheated on highway couple weeks ago and could not figure out why, I was reading forums and saw that they show a radiator cap down inside false tank.

I went out today and could not see 1 no matter whereI looked, so I read how to remove false tank and there it was under my overflow.

Now I feel really stupid, should have known It needed more fluid than whatI filled it with.

Filled radiator and blew it right out the right exhaust pipe, checked compression and was still pushing almost 100 pounds but the water does not lie.

Guess that explains why temp guage never showed either.

Now I hafta tear it back down and do other side.:X

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Ya they are hard to get to without the false tank off... When you fill do just like a car, you have to burp it.. get all the air out by push on the hose. good luck and sorry to hear you have to do it again.. take your time, youll get it right.. and you learn from your mistakes.

·
big PIA
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Me too, down on vehicles here and was using bike back and forth to work, now to get a gasket ordered and hope it get here quick and i don't have many probs tearing down and putting back together.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

yeah i pulled off my radiator surge tank and boiled it out to get the oil residue out,

i did my rh head gasket and im just kinda waiting to see if and when the lh side goes usually on cars i treat them as a match set but we'll see what we see

well at least you know what to do and you know what tools you need so thats 1/2 the job done right?

·
big PIA
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

well taking left off is a little diff than the right but can't be that much harder......I hope

·
big PIA
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Finally got back to my bike today,when I parked it last it was starting to run rough. I had just changed right head gasket but when I was filling radiator it was bubbling back like pressure was getting into system, when I got it home, was running a lil rough and noticed white smoke coming outta left side exhaust.

Today I ran compession test and al cylinders came up to 180 pouns each.

Could it be that gasket went between exhaust and water jacket and not affect cyl pressure? I have already got another new gasket causeI expected pressure to be down.So if that it what someone believes it is I will just hafta tear it down and change it.

bought a set of vaccuum guages when I bought gasket so I can set my carbs afterwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.