Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

about a year and a half ago, a friend of mine had a blown head gasket on his wing. he bought a complete gasket kit and i replaced both head gaskets and all everything else i came across while doing the repair. bike ran great until about a month ago. he said the temp started running higher than normal. he checked the coolant level and all was good. on Christmas day he went for a ride and the temp shot up and startedcondensing bad out of the exhaust and he said you could smell the anti-freeze in the exhaust and it was dripping out of the exhaust pipe. my question is this, he bought after-market gaskets ( not Honda ), could that be the problem or is there possibly something else im missing?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

After market gasket should not be the problem. When you did the repairs before, did you check the heads for warpage? If he had some warpage then, an overheat this time could have caused it to warp further and leak again. Do the heads still appear to be properly torqued? Have you pulled the heads yet? Is there any obvious damage that would lead to the cause? Pictures front and back of the gaskets would help. Just some thoughts on what might have happened.

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I suppose when you take it apart and get it all cleaned up, check the heads for being true. Lay a straight edge across them at various angles and see if one of them is warped ? Look for cracks and that sort of thing. Then get some good gaskets and put it all together again.

I have had that kind of trouble and I know I did everything right, and it was just a bad gasket.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

did not find any signs of the heads being warped when i did the repair. i will check again when he gets new gaskets. im not going to pull it down until he has the parts available.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

You might want to check the water pump b4 you go pulling the heads.
A bad water pump will do the same things you are talking about.
just a thought

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

After market gasket should not be the problem. ....
Contrary to what was suggested, aftermarket gaskets could well cause the problems. I won't take the time to search (but anyone could) but you will find many complaints about the non OEM gasket construction.. Now I suppose there are some that are okay, but for sure there are many that are not. They have different materials and different stamped textures and have contributed to head gasket failure. Iuse only OEM gaskets and I also recommend that.

Having said that, there are several other causes of early gasket failure. Of course, warped heads (already mentioned), but at least one other very common cause:

Improper torque.

This can be by many causes, probably most frequent is improper lubrication of the head bolts, next would be improper order or amount of torque. The head bolts must be lubricated with a moly grease on the threads and under the head. Moly past (60% Moly is even better than just grease) but at least going by the HOnda Service book, it should have some moly in it.

After a search, a couple of links:

LINK 1
LINK 2

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

I've got to 2nd The Big Dog here, at least checking the waterpump. I've got 2 1100's and both had bad pumps when purchased. Also, check the thermostat. Severe overheating can blow a gasket, or a blown gasket can bring on overheating. IMHO, OEM head gaskets in this application are the way to go...
My 2 cents

Todd

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

creekwalker wrote:
.... startedcondensing bad out of the exhaust and he said you could smell the anti-freeze in the exhaust and it was dripping out of the exhaust pipe......
A bad water pump cannot cause this.. gotta be head gasket..

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

have to be careful while scraping the old gasket from the head's , take your time don't use sand paper or dermal tool. there's a small O-ring that comes with the kit some time's that's where you will get the leak......
that's why i am switching motor's , i blow a gasket a year, alway's on the same side
i redid the motor 4 yrs ago i think we screwed up one head the gasket's were hard to get off.mines a 1980 burn's a little oil so i got a newer one. working on that project right now

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
creekwalker wrote:
.... startedcondensing bad out of the exhaust and he said you could smell the anti-freeze in the exhaust and it was dripping out of the exhaust pipe......
A bad water pump cannot cause this.. gotta be head gasket..
bad pump would leak water into the crankcase and it would mix with the oil. not into the combustion chamber

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Deaddawg wrote:
After market gasket should not be the problem. When you did the repairs before, did you check the heads for warpage?
yes checking for warpage is always a good idea, having said that, scuttlebut on the NGW site is NEVER go with an aftermarket head gasket as the quality just isn't there

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

i followed the book on torque sequence and amount of torque. i dont believe that was the problem. i did use a moly based grease on the bolts as well. after torqueing the bolts i check the values with another torque wrench just to be sure. i can remember the name brand of the gaskets but i know it was NOT honda. when he has the money, im gonna have him get honda gaskets and redo it for him. this time i will carry the heads to a good shop in a nearby town to have them checked.

if they are warped, can they be shaved flat like automotive heads or are they trashed?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Creek: I do not know where to find the specs. But if need be you can shave the heads just a bit, too much and you raise the engine compression and blow the gaskets again.

Maybe someone else will know where to find this at. I do know if you go too much it does raise the compression too much. But in a moderate amount can be done.

Kit

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

creekwalker wrote:
...if they are warped, can they be shaved flat like automotive heads or are they trashed?
Yes they can be shaved... just take off only what is necessary.... and if you have a flat surface to work on, you can actually do it yourself.. I glued a sheet of wet and dry 220 to the machined surface of my stationary belt sander... The head is aluminum, so the wet an dry cut pretty good (use wet).. If you are not confident with this, take it to a machine shop...

Even if you increase the compression ratio a little bit, it isn't going to be much more likely to blow gaskets, but if it pings, you may have to move up a grade in gasoline.

Below is how milling the head by 0.010 and 0.020 would affect a GL1100 or a GL1200... Typically, I would think that even 5 or 10 mills would be sufficient.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i`d throw my 2 cents in-- but things have been coverd .
OEM head gaskets .

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Without the moly grease, you get improper torque and a bad seal?
Is that a question??? If so, answer is yes... (actually it is improper clamping pressure)

by using the moly grease the clamping pressure on the gasket is increased for the same torque.... and another major benefit of the moly is that the clamping pressure developed is uniform from bolt to bolt whereas using other lubricants, not only is it less, but has more variation (statistical) from bolt to bolt.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Hi, I was wondering if using standard gas in the 1200 instead of premium gas could cause early head gasket failure?

What is your point of view?

On mine I swapped the right head gasket twice at 25K KM interval but I always use 87 octane gas. Under high acceleration I somtime heard engine pigning but then I just release the throttle a bit.

Andre Montreal

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the 1200 should use standard gas.... octane is only a rating on how quickly gas burns.... the lower the number the faster it burns. high compression engines need higher octane, but the goldwing is NOT a higher compression engine

but to answer the question.... nothing at all

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

After skimming heads and replacing head gaskets, it is advisable to retorque the head again after about 500 miles.
This may just end up as a cursory check, but normally results in being able to tighten down a fraction more. I have seen head bolts give another complete turn on a retorque.
This movement can be attributed to bolt/stud stretch, gasket compression and settling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.