Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY

2K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  SB in SC 
#1 ·
imported post

it seems like these two words go together like peanut butter and jelly. if someone owns a goldwing, he or she has ridden the blue ridge parkway. after i bought my 93 wing, my wife and i just had to go to the brp, and ride it from skyline drive down to cherokee north carolina. i got out all the maps, and sent via snail mail, 1993, for all the info i could get, and sat down at the dinner table, in order to pick out all the hotels, and motels, and bed and breakfasts, on the entire route. we stayed at 14 different places( i say places because most of them werent hotels). a few memories: banks of otter, meadows of dan,(i love that one!,) hill top inn, (remember this was 16 years ago), and im not looking at any memrobilia, tunnels, many tunnels, and some of the most beautiful scenery that any person could hope to see in a lifetime! and i remember fog, my god fog , like we have never seen before, waking up to leave and everything on the bike looking like it had just poured down the rain. we would have to take a towel from the bathroom of the place outside and wipe down the wing before we could see through the windshield. oh and did i mention that this was in august? the first two weeks to be exact. and i remember my wife on the back of the wing, video camera in hand, most of the whole trip, unless it was raining, videoing everything that happened, every turn, every swooper, every deer, and a whole lot of her blue jeans when she thought she hit stop and didnt. i remember looking for what we thought was a hotel, but turned out to be a bed and breakfast, going up these roads and back down the same roads that werent fit for a TANK, looking and looking, and finally finding it and being very surprised at it being a b and b. see the fun we had before gps? :dude: this is what we felt like right here. but we endured, and ill tell ya what, i wouldnt trade those memories for all the money in the world. ( well lemme rephrase that), all the tea in china.... whatever that means. so how bout it wingnutts, lets hear your story/storys, bout the blueridge parkway. was it everything you thought it would be or was it a bust for you? did you enjoy the putt, or was it a pain in your a**? inquiring minds want to know! :18liteblue:rick:?:bat:

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

wingtrick..... sometimes I could hate you!!!!!:X:)

I drove the Blue Ridge Parkway last September with Helen the Viking. Yes, please note the word drove. :X

We were in a flippin' cage and what did we see all along the route? Motorcycles that's what!!!!! :XDarned Goldwings everywhere, blasted crotch rockets and to compound my frustration and to rub salt into the wound, we were accompanied for many a mile, by a guy on a scooter, something like a Suzuki Burgmann and he was having a wonderful time, and seemed to stop at just about every look out that we chose to stop at. :X

So pleeeese everyone, no more mention of the Blue Ridge Parkway and how wonderful it is to ride on a Wing, or I shall have to send the boys round to rip your arms off and beat you with the soggy ends!!!!!!!:X:X:X

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I dream of coming back and riding that road on a Wing!!!!:clapper::clapper::action::action:

#4 ·
imported post

kb0ou wrote:
Silverfox, it is okay in a cage, but much better on any bike!!!
Thank you for reminding me kb0ou.... you are off my Christmas card list!!!!:cool::D

#6 ·
imported post

LUV2WING wrote:
I ride parts of it quite often as I can be on it within fifty miles of my home. I love it.:action::action:
I now look like that puppy in your Avatar!!!!:(

#7 ·
imported post

Red and I rode it in 1997 on our 81' 1100...... and, Silverfox, the previous posters are right, it's much better on a bike!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

One of the great attractions to us was just off the BRP, Lexington, Va., a place shot through with history (Lee's Tomb, Stonewall's Grave, Virginia Military Institute). Silverfox and "the aulde country types" might not be impressed, but we had a great meal in a building that was built in 1827, quite a treat for us hick westerners!

The only drawback to the BRP is the 45 mph speed limit, absolutely painful for a rider with the flair and reflexes and skillslike I have!
:cheeky1::cheeky1::action::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

#8 ·
imported post

• Cousin Jack wrote:
Red and I rode it in 1997 on our 81' 1100...... and, Silverfox, the previous posters are right, it's much better on a bike!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:Thank you for rubbing it in!!!!

One of the great attractions to us was just off the BRP, Lexington, Va., a place shot through with history (Lee's Tomb, Stonewall's Grave, Virginia Military Institute). Silverfox and "the aulde country types" might not be impressed, but we had a great meal in a building that was built in 1827, quite a treat for us hick westerners! I love eating in modern surroundings!!!:D

The only drawback to the BRP is the 45 mph speed limit, absolutely painful for a rider with the flair and reflexes and skillslike I have!
:cheeky1::cheeky1::action::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:That is good, our country roads are now mostly posted at 40mph. :X

#9 ·
imported post

I try to ride the BRP at least once a year. Usually tow or three times. I never tire fo the majesty of God's creation; and it is in my back door!

Bernie

#10 ·
imported post

I've managed to ride the parkway a few times. It is my favorite ... the slow pace, good road surface ... great scenery ... OH SORRY! I got carried away... :D

I have never experience fog likeon Blue Ridge Parkway. It was so thick, I couldn't see the overlooks. We rode in it for a couple of hours before finding our way to an exit. It felt like being released from some sort of dungeon as we came down below the clouds. So now, I ALWAYS check to weather forecast before leaving.

Bob

#11 ·
imported post

If I start writing about the BPR it'd turn into a novel.

#12 ·
imported post

2wings has put together a ride up there each summer for the couple of years. From whatI have read it has been a great time with many Wings.

I have ridden good parts of it but never the whole thing. Someday I will do it from top to bottom.

#13 ·
imported post

For me I have ridden it from south to north through and onto the skyline drive twice and from the skyline drive to part way on the BRP in 2007 where my frind and I met up with Roscoe for the first time and last year going to Calhoun with Johnboy aptley named "the Deer Slayer" .
My first encounter with a bear fortunately for me he was peeking out of a ditch by the side of the road, I dont know how big he or she was, I didnt hang around long enough to find out, I was riding tail gunner with Johnboy to make sure he wasnt attacked from behind by another deer :)
Beautiful isnt the word to give it justice... perfect might be better.

#14 ·
imported post

The last ride of the year 2008 for us was to ride from Fancy Gap VA to Boone NC on the parkway. It was my wife's first time on it. We both loved it. I have rode it many many times over the years and truly love it. My favorite time to ride it is in the spring when the Rhododendron's are in full bloom if you haven't rode it at that time you dont know what you are missing. We live about 80 miles from Fancy Gap so we can ride it about anytime. I have ridden North a couple of times from FG but I think the southern route is prettier.

#16 ·
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:

[align=left]

I caught myself a few times up at 65+ and had to force myself to 'rein it in'. Glad I did as the Boys in Blue had 3 bikers pulled over, who had just passed me minutes before.

A real delight to ride and one thing that I loved was that there wasn't one stop sign along the portion that I rode.(Balsam NC - Floyd VA)

" so how bout it wingnutts, lets hear your story/storys, bout the blueridge parkway. was it everything you thought it would be or was it a bust for you? "

I'd be in the 'everything - more than' camp. Scenery, road, lack of traffic,camp grounds, restaurants, were all great! :clapper:I'll definitely get back there to do the whole Parkway/Skyline route. You are sure right about the amount of Dew in the mornings! :shock:[/align]

[align=center]

[/align]

[align=center]Linvale Falls[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=left]Dusty[/align]

#17 ·
imported post

That highest elevation point where you are posing with the Wing is one of the points that we stopped at with the scooter rider close behind. If I remember rightly Mirror Rock wasn't too much further on, if I have remembered its name correctly. We also stopped at another pretty high altitude spot where there was a small shop and we bought the obligatory sticker saying we had driven the BRP, although I would have prefered to have been bying the one that said "I RODE the BRP":X

#18 ·
imported post

Rode the Skyline/BRP for the first time in September of '81 with my wife hugging me all the way. It was our second summer of married life. She's grown out of the need for hugging on a bike. Still get one at home the odd time;). I was loving the scenery, curves, lack of traffic/trucks and having a hoot. On the second day in the morning my wife suddenly gave me a shot in the ribs and told me to stop. NOW! I did the emergency stop and she jumped off and ran into the bush and hurled her guts... you get the picture.
We had been spending nights at HoJo's because if there's one thing the wife can't resist it's ice cream. The little thing (120 lbs) will outeat anyone when it comes to ice cream. At 200+ lbs I can only sit and marvel at the ice cream she is able to wolf down. Anyway, we had been staying at HoJo's and she was determined to sample every flavor they offered (I think it was 18?) at least once. That evening we stopped at HoJo's and she was feeling better, and famished, so she ordered the bowl of ice cream that had one of each flavor. And she finished the whole thing! Took her 1/2 an hour but she did it. Except for a couple spoonfuls of the Coffee flavor.
We went for a walk and came across a telephone booth (no cell phones in those days) so we called home to Canada to let the family know we were doing alright. When her mother asked how the day had gone she related the fact that she hadn't been feeling well earlier in the day but had been craving ice cream by the time the evening rolled around.
It turned out that the queasy stomach was probably a result of an exuberant driver blasting thru twisties and giving her a bout of motion sickness but that wasn't the story we heard when we got home. Mother-in-law had spread the word that the wife was having morning sickness and craving ice cream! I was doing a pastoral internship at the time and it seemed the whole congregation heard the story before our return. It was amazing how many congratulations we received our first Sunday back! Almost embarrassed that it wasn't true.
We've been back to the BRP three times since then and each time we call home the first words out of our mouths is always, "No morning sickness!"

Telephone..... Tell-a-mother-in-law.....Told the world :cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

#19 ·
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
That highest elevation point where you are posing with the Wing is one of the points that we stopped at with the scooter rider close behind. If I remember rightly Mirror Rock wasn't too much further on, if I have remembered its name correctly.

Pete, ..... I can't remember it's name(Dome Rock??) but this was just minutes up the road .....

I loved this sign at the Visitors Centre at Linville Falls, warning riders about the hazards of decreasing radius turns on the BRP. :)

Dusty

#21 ·
imported post

Glad my memory isn't completely shot Dusty.... we saw so many places over our 17 days, it is hard to remember where what was and when!!!!:shock:

#22 ·
imported post

From Cherokee the firstInn is Pisgah Inn on top of Pisgah Mtn. A great place to spend the night with excellent food. The next best place to stop for the night is Little Switzerland Inn 30 miles North of Asheville. I try to be there on a Friday night because their seafood and prime rib buffett cannot be beat! Their breakfast buffett is wonderful too. Great views from both these locations. Klingmans dome is the bald rock formation referred to earlier. The viaduct around Lynnville falls is a structural marvel too, considering when and how it was constructed. There is a nice motel at Doughton Park with beautiful fields behind that always have deer and turkey roaming thru them.Thereis a little resturant there that has the best fried chicken you ever wrapped your lips around. Another of my favorite spots is Maybrey Mills at the Virginia line. They still make their own flour and they have the best pancakes there too. Peaks of Otter is another good place to rest your bones and eat some good chow. Did I mention the views are simply breathtaking at every turn?! I should weigh in at over 400 pounds but somehow manage to stay in the 180 range. There are just too many sights I love to see each time I travel the Parkway. And now you all are making me want to get an early start this year!

Bernie

#24 ·
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
From Cherokee the firstInn is Pisgah Inn on top of Pisgah Mtn. A great place to spend the night with excellent food. The next best place to stop for the night is Little Switzerland Inn 30 miles North of Asheville. I try to be there on a Friday night because their seafood and prime rib buffett cannot be beat! Their breakfast buffett is wonderful too. Great views from both these locations. Klingmans dome is the bald rock formation referred to earlier. The viaduct
Bernie
Is Klingmans dome a different place to Clingman's dome? Clingsman's dome is the highest point in the Smokey mountains and noted by the walk round tower at the top. Breathlessly I have walked to theretwice once 12 years ago and then again this last Septemberand been in the top of the tower. The other thing I remember about Clingsmans dome is seeing all the firs devastated by the bug that destroys just the one type of tree, the Frazer Fir.

Looking at the map of the BRP the rock pictured by Dusty must be the Balsam mountain, way down the other end of the BRP.

We stopped for coffee at the Pisgah Inn, but didn't eat there because we thought the prices were a bit high.

#25 ·
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Silverfox wrote:
That highest elevation point where you are posing with the Wing is one of the points that we stopped at with the scooter rider close behind. If I remember rightly Mirror Rock wasn't too much further on, if I have remembered its name correctly.

Pete, ..... I can't remember it's name(Dome Rock??) but this was just minutes up the road .....

I loved this sign at the Visitors Centre at Linville Falls, warning riders about the hazards of decreasing radius turns on the BRP. :)

Dusty
no, if i remember right, it was BLOWING ROCK....I THINK....rick

#26 ·
imported post

Got it!!! It is called Glass Rock and the picture Dusty Boots took was from just South of the Glass Rock Overlook, maybe about 5 miles south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.