Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What is a good way to use my cell phone with my Goldwing Intercom system? I was thinking about bluetooth, but don't see the need to spend up to $400 for what I believe is a simple solution. Suggestions welcomed.

Duffy

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I turn my cell phone OFF when I hop on the scoot. If you really want it Nolan/J&M finally came out with a good model. But get a "comfortable" helmet.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Also, the last issue of GWRRA's "Wing World" has an article on going wireless.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

duffytclown wrote:
What is a good way to use my cell phone with my Goldwing Intercom system? I was thinking about bluetooth, but don't see the need to spend up to $400 for what I believe is a simple solution. Suggestions welcomed.

Duffy
For the 1500, there is no cheap ready-madesolution yet, if you want to continue to use the factory intercom, stereo & CB. The solution listed below by AZgl1500does not integrate with the factory system.

J&M has a universal integration terminal that allows you to hook up your cell phone, GPS & radar detector to the factory system, and with the bluetooth adaptor you can go wireless on your cell phone. This is the setup I have on my bike. You could also go wireless with the cell phone if you have a bluetooth GPS.

Air Rider has some bluetooth headsets that are not quite in production yet, that integrate with the factory system, but based on the past they will not be cheap either.

John

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks everyone for the input. Looks like I have to buy a phone to get bluetooth on my bike (at least the price of a new phone. :>)).

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
duffytclown wrote:

Duffy
For the 1500, there is no cheap ready-madesolution yet, if you want to continue to use the factory intercom, stereo & CB. The solution listed below by AZgl1500does not integrate with the factory system.

J&M has a universal integration terminal that allows you to hook up your cell phone, GPS & radar detector to the factory system, and with the bluetooth adaptor you can go wireless on your cell phone. This is the setup I have on my bike. You could also go wireless with the cell phone if you have a bluetooth GPS.

Air Rider has some bluetooth headsets that are not quite in production yet, that integrate with the factory system, but based on the past they will not be cheap either.

John
I was wondering the same thing .. I spoke with the reps from J&M at Americade last spring and asked if they had plans to make a wireless headset that would integrate with the GL1500 analog system and they said they were indeed engineering such a device to be ready by the end of 08, but so far I have not seen it.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well, I solved the issue somewhat inexpensively. I had a CARDO bluetooth headset already and added it to my helmet with the built in microphone headset. Although the phone does not go through the bikes sound system, I am able to use both at the same time and that helps a lot. Oh yea, the CARDO headset was only $99.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

duffytclown wrote:
Well, I solved the issue somewhat inexpensively. I had a CARDO bluetooth headset already and added it to my helmet with the built in microphone headset. Although the phone does not go through the bikes sound system, I am able to use both at the same time and that helps a lot. Oh yea, the CARDO headset was only $99.
Nice! How did you get both sets of speakers in a position that you could hear them both well?

John

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I just velcored the smaller one onto the bigger speaker and have little to no impediment.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Interesting, and nicely done. Are the Cardo speakers the smaller one's then? How much smaller are they than the other headset speakers?

John

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Great. You've provided a lower cost alternative for people with your innovation. :clapper:

John

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

I've thought about doing this a few times, but each time, I remind myself that when I'm on the bike, I do NOT use the phone - if it starts ringing, and I suspect it's important, I pull over, take my helmet off, and call back whoever I just missed. I have other things to concentrate on when I'm riding, like traffic.

That being said, I think I would do the following:

• Take a small, 12-volt powered (i.e. cigarette lighter plug) bluetooth speakerphone, and mount it in the fairing somewhere.
  • Wire its pick-up/hang-up button to a button on the fairing.
  • Take the speaker output from it, through a resistor (to drop the level down significantly) and wire it into the microphone circuit of the motorcycle intercom.
  • Take the headset output from the motorcycle intercom, through a resistor (to drop the level down significantly), and through a capacitor (to block DC from the condensor mike bias in the speakerphone) into the speakerphone microphone input.
Theoretically, this should make the bluetooth module work as if it were another passenger on the bike - you could talk to it using your bike's intercom, and it would connect wirelessly to whatever phone you had on you that was paired with it. It would obviously take some trial and error with resistor values to get the levels right, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Ok, come over and we'll make it and give it a test!;)

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I got the Cardo teamset and I am giving my wife the Bluetooth one and pair it with her phone so she can answer any phone calls, it has a feature that she can bring me into the conversation if need be. My B-I-L has the same set, same thing, his wife has the phone. This way we can use cell to cell for bike to bike communication, in theory we could all four talk and from miles apart if for some reason we got split up. Doesnt do any good for the audio, but for bike to bike communication, plus driver/passenger intercom. We are gonna try it. My B-I-L has had the Cardo for over a year now and likes them. I am installing mine this weekend.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Wishiewashie wrote:
I think it is [email protected] for the blue-tooth, for $245.00 you can get GPS, blue tooth, stereo, ipoid, intercom hookup.
Before I bought my J&M system I called Kennedy. They quoted me more than a $100 more than the J&M setup.

John

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Wishiewashie wrote:
I have a quote of $245.00 for all functions from Kennedy.
Then they have drastically changed their pricing structure or they mislead one of us. I simply wanted BlueTooth for my cell phone and audio for my GPS and they listed several componants that added up to more than $500. This was just last August.

John

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.