Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im trying to help a friend with his bmw r1200cl
the bike has been on several shops but they wont fix it.
at low RPMS has no power you have to rev it above 2000+ rpms to get it going, at idle if you rev up it does very slow

secondly the brakes, i dont know if its normal or not, but once you hit the brakes you have to be very easy on them if you hit them hard like bike will stop very hard, when you push the brake lever you can hear a motor running and the lever feels like pushes out a little, at idle there is an indicator blinking that says brake failulre.

there are no shops that will know how to fix this bike so any help or ideas will be appreciated as well as if someone can point us on a good direction for a friendly bmw forum

·
267 Posts
William, I'm not familiar with R1200Cl but I do know that model has ABS braking which is linked both front & back. This is a quote from a review of that model as of a few years ago.

(The standard braking system is sufficient, although the 1200CL is also available with BMW's Integral ABS system. This reduces the lever effort required by 50 per cent and much of the time makes the ride even more relaxed. But it does have its quirks, coming in a little too sharply if you're feathering the brakes. Occasionally, if you pull away very slowly (for example, if you start the engine and immediately execute a gentle U-turn, as I did) the brake system doesn't pressurise and you can find yourself with hardly any stopping power, at least until you exceed 3mph.)

From this article.

Has the bike been sitting or stored for a while before your friend bought it?

Since the bike is fuel injection, check to see if the fuel pump pressure is what it is supposed to be & check if the fuel injectors are clean and not partially blocked. The poor throttle response could indicate low fuel flow initially. When you open the throttle is the exhaust smoke clear, or slightly black? Slightly black would indicate a little too much fuel where as a clear exhaust with a rather "Strangled" sound from the engine upto 2000rpm would indicate initial under fueling.

PS. How's your VFR800 going now you sold your GL1200?

As for a fourm starting piont, how about this one. Chromeheads.org The same bike but the cruiser version.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
The brakes on the r1200 are servo assisted and the slightest tip on them will send you over the handlebars if you are not careful ,the pump you hear running I would assume to be the ABS pump stopping the bike from skidding , be very careful with these bikes ,if you lose engine power you also lose brakes ..
I think the problem you are having with the engine is the throttle bodies,on the "r" engines this was always a problem , also if your battery is not up 100% this will cause all these problems as well , ,sounds to me like it is only running on one side ,check that the throttle bodies are working nice and smooth ..
Just been thinking more on this and if I remember correctly ,the battery must be over 12.8 volts before start upas the ABS goes through a self check and if the battery is not above this voltage then the self check stops and the error light will keep flashing ..

The bmw is a bitch of a bike to do anything on and usually means a trip to a bmw dealer to put it on the diagnostics,and that will show up the faults right away .

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it was very scary to ride it aroud the block i almost hit the windscreen when i first used the brakes, after that i didn't go too fast just first gear to get back around the block, my friend's cousing who is riding the bike most of the time because my the owner is new to bikes, he says it runs good and strong above 2000 rpm. ill let him know about the battery issue and check the throttle bodies. thanks.

i have not been able to sell the 1200, no buyer so far, the vfr is doing great, i just purchased the oem hard saddlebags and right now im waiting a couple of hours to pick them up from the shop as i had them color matched to my bike, i dont remember if i posted here but weeks after i got the bike i droped it and had it painted to a custom color i believe its a mazda pearl red color looks beautiful. im going to south padre island next week so it will be my first road trip on that baby.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
The bmw is a bitch of a bike to do anything on and usually means a trip to a bmw dealer to put it on the diagnostics,and that will show up the faults right away .
Any trip to a BMW dealer is always guaranteed to be an expensive one. :ROFL:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Have a great trip William!:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I would begin over at sport-touring.net in their BMW forum.

There's a large group of BMW riders over there. Many do their own work.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
The 1200 CL has a known throttle body problem. You need to get on a BMW forum to find someone that has gone through it. Tom :july4thflag:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.