Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding yesterday and found myself going past Bob Jo honda but the signs were off the building. The only signs on the building were the Honda logo signs. Does anyone know if theyre still open or did they go the way of the wind also?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,586 Posts
Lots of shops closing these days. Internet and covid are a lethal combination for struggling businesses.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Something is going on with Japanese motorcycle sales. There is a Honda dealer and also a Kawasaki dealer near me that has shifted almost entirely to quads. I see no motorcycles displayed outside and very few on the showroom floor. ???

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,708 Posts
Something is going on with Japanese motorcycle sales. There is a Honda dealer and also a Kawasaki dealer near me that has shifted almost entirely to quads. I see no motorcycles displayed outside and very few on the showroom floor. ???
I have noticed that in the adverts also. Quads are used by all outdoors folks, and kids.
big touring bikes are almost in the Rear View Mirror.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts

Yup, looks like they are no longer like many others. I know that many in Northeast Illinois have closed. Not 1 single Honda motorcycle shop in Chicago at all. The ones that closed around me are Midlothian, The Zone, Otto Brothers, Service Honda, Honda House of Elmhurst, Lansing, etc... I'm sure I missed a few others but especially now mines a trike, I am forced to pretty much do all my own maintenance.

·
Registered
'93 GL1500 Aspencade '80 GL1100 STD Vetter
786 Posts
There was a Honda-Kawasaki-Yamaha dealer nearby that I did business with regularly, parts, tires etc, They always had a nice variety of bikes on the floor from dirt bikes to the big touring machines of various makes. Always a Goldwing or two and an F6B. They closed a couple yrs ago. 😥 Three years ago when I bought the E4 for the rear of the 1500 I was checking out the sales floor while the shop mounted the tire. No touring bikes, just dirt bikes, "Zoom-Splats" (crotch rockets) and quads. Sad.

Appears the death of the big Touring bike, regardless of make, is in the cards.....

·
Registered
427 Posts
We have a big Dealer here called Clawson Motor Sport. They sell Everything, Went in the other day and not a single Goldwing new or used. Asked a sales guy where were the wings, just said don't have any. Nothing more, don't have any. So something is wrong, it's been like that for 6 months.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Maybe it is because we patch together 27 year old bike's and ride them across country.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,708 Posts
Maybe it is because we patch together 27 year old bike's and ride them across country.
and a Bean counter is looking at the sales, not enough to warrant sitting on the floor for 2 years if they ordered a model folks don't want.

Special Order? at a discounted price, I would talk with them about that.
but, I like to fly on US Cattle Car and ride it home :)

·
Magic Moderator
4,574 Posts
The people who buy the high end bikes are retired, bought their last bike and see no sense in buying the latest and greatest version when what they have will last.

·
Premium Member
41,146 Posts
Good point Trike Lady. Same with cars and trucks being able to go over 200,00 mile with care, I see no reason to spend big dollars on a new one.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I was out riding yesterday and found myself going past Bob Jo honda but the signs were off the building. The only signs on the building were the Honda logo signs. Does anyone know if theyre still open or did they go the way of the wind also?
Bob Jo has been closed about 3 +yrs now. I used to go there to get service and parts. I've heard some of there repair guys have set up a shop in Stillman Valley but have yet to find them. Now I travel 25 miles to Freeport Honda Kawasaki for any services and parts + friendly enough for me.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its terrible in the fact that even with the 1800s you cant find a Honda dealer to service the bike for some things. Having a trike most Honda dealers wont touch it. Im sorry to hear about Bob Jo they were one of the few that still serviced older wings. For now Im lucky enough that I have an older wing mechanic that worked at a dealer that was shut down to help me with things I cant do anymore.

·
Registered
'93 GL1500 Aspencade '80 GL1100 STD Vetter
786 Posts
We have a big Dealer here called Clawson Motor Sport. They sell Everything, Went in the other day and not a single Goldwing new or used. Asked a sales guy where were the wings, just said don't have any. Nothing more, don't have any. So something is wrong, it's been like that for 6 months.
Went Helmet shopping the other day and found myself at Sun Honda (North Denver Metro). At least they still have 'Wings on the sales floor, exactly two of them. Didn't look them over that closely since my primary destination was Parts & Accessories upstairs and didn't notice what model year but one was a NOS 2017 or older, the other a 2018+. Didn't notice if it was DCT or not. Someone could likely get a nice deal on the Gen 5 1800.

No intention to replace my 1500 but I've thought I might be fun to demo a DCT if I can find a dealer with a Demo unit. Bound to be one somewhere in the Denver area......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts