Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a '80ish Goldwing that has some damage to some of the body parts, such as the cowling. I am trying to get it repaired and painted. The gentleman doing the paint job says that the bondo repair won't work because the cracked parts will split apart once the bike drives down the road. Another painter tells me the bondo will work and the paint guy just doesn't know. I need more of an answer than "Because"! Anyone with suggestions as to whether or not this is true, and if so what else I can use to repair the cracks in this bike will be greatly appreciated. I would like to show the paint guy that girls know what they are doing too. Even though I need input from other sources. Thanks to all that answer.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

You need to use an ABS plastic repair kit, not bondo. You can also layer fiberglass into it as you apply it on the inside of the piece.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

When I repaired a crack in a side cover several years ago (didn't get it on securely, it came off and bounced a couple times at highway speed), I first opened the crack up with a fine Dremel tool bit, then after cleaning it all with rubbing alcohol, I used heavy fiberglass cloth epoxied to the inside (where it doesn't show), then epoxy mixed with micro-balloons to fill the visible crack on the outside.

Sanded smooth, took it to a painter who shot it with epoxy based primer, then painted it.

To this day you can't tell where it was broken.

Mike

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Big Red. A GRRRREAT BIG WELCOME TO THE BEST GOLDWING site on the web, from the west coast of Canada. You have to follow the advice given. ABS cement is designed for ABS plastic of which our bodies are made of. Good luck. Angela.:waving::waving::waving::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil: Oh by the wayyou should update your profile with the area that you live so we can guide you to the nearest help or whatever.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

ABS all the way.

Get it at your local hardware store for a few bucks. It is in the plumbing section next to the PVC joint cement but ABSis black.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

Plastic Screen, mite help as blinder. I broked some tabs, going to try it. I need to do test on plastic screen to see it melts 1St. Lee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.