Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
alex80wing
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys. I am getting ready to start replacing the head gaskets in my 80 GL1100 and have been browsing around the site on tips. One of them that I came across is running a tap down the bolt holes for the head bolts. What size of tap am I going to need? I want to have everything sitting by the bike when I start so I don't end up forgetting how it goes back together.

Oh, what is Molly Paste? Another name for lock tite? Or would the guys at Orielly's know what I am asking for?

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Molly paste is more commonly known as Moly 60 on the label is the special grease you lube the rear hub splines with. Sold at most Honda bike shops and runs 6 dollars a tube here, higher at other places. Well worth the insurance of using it and checking the splines every time you change or service the rear tire.

My 82 has over 90,000 miles on it and the rear splines looked like new when I cleaned and re-lubed them.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Here is some useful info for installation of the GL1100 head bolts along with thetorque sequence. This info is from the Honda '80-'83 GoldWing Service Manual.

Attachments

·
alex80wing
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the info guys. How do I make sure that the holes are clean of any junk inside the holes? A guy at work said a thread chaser. That about the same as tap? Also do I want to reuse the bolts or get new ones? I ordered the gasket set from the local dealer yesterday (they are also repairing my front fork seals). I've never tore into a motor this far before and she has to make it to Las Vegas this summer for my honeymoon :jumper::band:. Wife will be pretty ticked off if we can't make the trip because I screwed up. Then again she would probably still take off on her Harley.

Thanks again for any and all info guys. You are all a godsend.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

Hit the holes with some WD40, washing out the crap in threads. Then hitthem with some compressed air to cleanthem out. The bolts should be fine unless cross threaded. Clean them up and reinstall per instruction from earlier thread. http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb70536.htm

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

alex80wing wrote:
....How do I make sure that the holes are clean of any junk inside the holes? A guy at work said a thread chaser. That about the same as tap?
Thread chaser and tap are really not exactly the same... I would not use a tap unless the threads were actually bad as you may be removing more metal than intended.. a thread chaser is sort-of like a tap, but really can't cut much and is not as tight.. but I am not sure where to find them either, maybe Mcmaster-Carr?... Jim

Yep.. here is what Mcmaster has.. (thread repair tool)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.