Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

WHOOPIE--------Today, I rode. First time since mid November. The temp was hovering around 14C, there was no wind, and the roads were bare and dry. My Wing just beckoned to me and before I knew it, I was doing a pre-flight--that was all good, as I had tucked 'er away nicely in the fall. Tires were even good. So I applied full choke and hit the starter--lots of whirring but no sign of light-off. Then, just as I went to release the starter, she hit(the old extra volts with turning inertia thingy) Before long she was purring like a kitten as I donned my gear and heavier leathers, almost hyper-ventilating with anticipation. Then, away we go. A few moments to remind myself what was under me, and then pure exhilaration as I turned the throttle. She was eager to go too, and go she did, the familiar throaty growl that she emits when asked, the gentle rumble when she is taking it easy. We swooped and turned down a couple of twisty roads and I revelled at how sweet she was. I was in love again. We did this for about an hour, and I have no idea where we went.

All too soon we were back home and it was a great feeling, that first ride of the year

I am reborn.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

Don't it feel great to be back in the saddle after a bit of down time. :action:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Very, very happy for you, Hawk, ol' fellow........

But all I can say, as I sit here typing one-handedly, while the other arm aches in it's ever-so-cleverly-designed pillow sling, is ......................

Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

I wanna be reborn.....(sob!)..................

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
imported post

Beautiful it is, the start of spring. Nicely said Hawk, makes one feel so young again.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've been lucky enough to be able to ride some days in every month since last fall but still get a great feeling every time I get astridemy trusty steed. All the cares of the day just seem to be a lot smaller on two wheels. It's similar to flying, you're in a slightly different world of sensations.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

CJ: Guess I lost my first reply. Join the club. Had my left shoulder done 17th. Surgeon could not do peep hole job and made 4" incision which is SORE!

Got off pain med and ice packs by 22nd but sling a constant buddy and hardly the same trying to sleep with it on..lacks something a warm wife has to offer!

Learned to do one handed typing but slow and lots of corrections required.

Worst yet to come. Got up on my GW last Fri, could not reach LH grip or clutcth handle, could never control a turn to the right, LH grip out of reach and painful unto death if I could. Maybe by May I can ride again so you have my sympathies.

Post-op appt with the surgeon Mon and assume phys therapy is next on the list.

He said w/o sling ok as long as arm dangled down, never used to try to lift anything until sutures take hold or any of the three tendons that had to be screwed to bone won't come loose. As if I had to be told not to try to lift..it hurts!

It will get better. I hope your wife will, as mine has, practically wait onyouhand and foot the first few days. Made the mistake insisting I could use RH..can drive auto Pu with rh but should never have showed here how I could wash dishes !!!

Polkwing

Oregon

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Must be even worse--having the wx to ride and not the ability. Wishing you both a speedy recovery.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Plenty of saddle time and years and miles.

Phys disability is temporary but necessary. Besides, between wind and continued rain riding would not be especially OK today. Sorry for folks in Fargo, ND but more H20 here than needed, h0wever seasonal and expected.

Thanks for the best wishes.

Polkwing

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
imported post

Here in the Fox Valley I'm looking at 2" of snow and it's snowing right now :X

I have had the itch on a few of the good days we have had this year so far but I tucked her away neatly last winter (earlier than I wanted too) and she's not comming out until the roads have no more salt or debis on them, I can wait!

Sympathies to those recovering from surgeries, been there myself (wrist reconstruction a few years ago), Don't skimp on the therapy cause it will get you on the bike faster!!!!!!!!!

Happy ridding season (when it finally gets here !)

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
imported post

Got out yesterday for a 100 mile oil warm up. Therapeutic it was.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
imported post

I haven't been able to ride my bike since Oct. Too much snow this year. We got 3.5 feet (yes, that's feet)a week ago and are in the middle of another one. Looks like only 1.5 - 2 feet on this go around. Heck, I can't even get to my shed where she is stored in order to change the timing belts. I am truly jealous Hawker22.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

My condolences to those who are recovering from injury or surgery. I've been there. Also to those in the northern areas. Here in OK the weather has been up and down as usual but the snow hasn't been much at all. Except of course the 9 inches of snow we got on Saturday which was melted away on Sunday but the sun and 55 deg f. Yep, Spring and Fall bring a rollercoaster of weather patterns to the Sooner state. Nevertheless, as long as the mornings were above 25f and dry or above 45f and just wet, I've been blessed to be able to ride the winter through and on January kept me in a cage(the 4 wheeled kind) for more than 2 weeks at a time. I can take cold to a point and I can handle the rain, but cold and rain or heavy storms will put me back in a cage.
I will agree whole heartedly that it is very healing to be able to ride again after a time without. I'm also very thankful that my bride loves to ride as well. She needs the temps to be a little higher than I just described but she still loves the open road on 2 wheels. And let's face it, the wing does spoil the passenger nearly as much as the driver, don't you think.
Happy riding to all, be safe, be free, and be blessed.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

Oh yeah, the picture for my avitar was taken in December this past Christmas for a benefit toy drive. Just a few days later we had a bad ice storm. Oklahoma weather, gotta love it. And if you don't just hang around a day or two and it will change for sure.:santawaving::cooldj::santahat::D

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I have put about 3,500 miles on my scoot since November. Ordered Amsoil and filter and will change it this week. Started teaching again about a month ago. Terrible weather to teach in but found my skills still intact. I pulled the tank off this weekend, removed all the air smog equipment, rejetted the carb and it waked up the beast. Very responsive now and still getting 45 MPG if I can keep my fist off the throttle.

Bernie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.