Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

Just getting back into riding after a 30 year hiatus. Bought the bikeon the internet. Appears in good condition. Has all fairings and battery covers, so I figure I can part it out for what I paid for it, if it's not worth fixing. But I'm hoping it is.

The bike was sitting for a couple of years, was said to be running when parked. I can't get it to crank. I took out the old bike battery and hooked a know good van battery to the bike battery terminals via jumper cables. Kill switch on. When I press the starter button, I get a loud click and the headlight dims, but that's all.

Tried removing the plugs to see if it would turn with no compression. Same result. Shot some Marvel Mystery Oil down the plug holes, let it sit a couple of days. Still same result.

So my first question is, how do I tell if I've got an seized engine or a bad starter? Is there a place to put a wrench on the engine to try and turn it? I've tried to roll it and pop the clutch, but the back tire just drags on the garage floor.

What to try next? any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Big John

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
imported post

On the left side at the rear of the engine there is a round plug 17mm. Take out the plug and with a 12mm socket and ratchet try to turn the engine in a clockwise direction.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

you can turn the engine over by taking off the pluge at the back on the left side. its up high--17mm---then take a 12mm wench -box end off set--and turn it clockwise , faceing the front of the bike. DO NOT turn it counter clockwise--that will loosen the stator bolt.much easery if the pluges are out . if you need a manual --you can down load in the FAQ section. but you need to first find out if its locked up.

forgot some thing---make sure its in neutral .

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks, I'll give that a try, and let you know. May be a few days before I can get to it though.

Big John

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Big John.

I look forward to hearing of your progress. I have a similar project underway. (though mine don't look half as purdy as yours does)

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome and Hello . WIth the bike on the cneter stand you can try to roll the engine by putting it into gear (5th is best ) then grab the rear tire and give it a pull or push and that should rotate the engine also .

Another thing to check about the starter ....look under the left side cover for the main fuse ,next to the battery. they are prone to crack after many years . They may allow enough energy to cause the soleniod to click but not turn the starter . Also you could direct coonect to the starter with your cables just to check the starter motor .

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I would load the cylinders up with an penetrent not wd40 or MMo. This will seep past the rings hopefully and dissolve any rust thats holding things up.Try rolling the rear wheel like was stated and if it rolls, load some more penetrent ,after a day or so try with a known good battery to jump the solenoid terminals to get the motor to crank.Be sure to leave the plugs out just lay a rag over the plug holes as it will blow out and cover everything.When my '76 sat for a few years I needed to replace the battery and the solinoid plus the negetive cable on the battery. It also ran good when it was parked.,,

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the great tips, all. I shot some penetrant in the cylinders the other day, and put the wrench on it this morning. The engine turns!!! WooHoo!! Not seized.

So to recap, Kill switch on. When I press the starter button, I get a loud click and the headlight dims, but that's all.

So should I look directly at the starter, or a gremlin between the switch and starter? What's my next step?

Thanks,

John

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Check all the connections..at the battery, at the solenoid, there are several wires. The main ground, the cable at the post on the starter be careful not to try and turn the nut w/o holding the inner nut in place if you do you'll break the connection inside the starter and then it's toast unless you're good at small solder jobs in cramped places.

Also think oil can stop the starter dead, if you can get it running via jump start warm it up and change the oil..even add some seafoam to the oil in there while it's warming up to help clean stuff out.

All connections are good and the oil isn't like glue then it's time to look inside the starter it can be cleaned up fairly easily, all in the manual note you DON"T have to remove the engine to get the starter out, like it says in the manual.

go to the reference section and download the shop manual..

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Check for voltage at the starter while pushing the start button. You should have 10-10.5 volts and if you do the starter is bad.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

i started out with my frist wing the same way last year so i know what your going though i would sugest buying the repair manuel for the year of bike you have i think you can buy them on ebay

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

If voltage drops below 10 when starter switch is pushed the bike won't start. If solenoid clicks ( its OK ), check wiring to ground & postive terminal to solenoid & to starter. Any voltage drops over postive cables indicate a bad connection/or corrosion.

Just go with a process of elimantion, easy stuff first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.