Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

well i have been driving by a house every day for the past couple of years to drop the kids at daycare. on the way, i spotted a pop up tent trailer. it hasnt moved since i had seen it. thought i would drop by and ask if they would be interested in selling it. come to find out, they were. bought it for a whopping 75 bucks. he had started to make a home made pop up tent trailer, then quit. the wood is all rotted. i will have to gut it, but that wont be too bad considering he only got the box built. i now have to the middle of july to get it built. now the big thing is coming up with some plans that i will start from. it looks like a full size trailer. 12 inch wheels. it does have the wiring already done and he already bought a spare. he also gave me a battery box. this will be a fun little project that i can make my own. i will post some pics along the way. if you guys have any ideas on what i should do, put it on the list and i will definately give it some thought. i have already decided to make it a little smaller. maybe 30 to 36 inches wide. probably a 40" long box. letter rip tater chip!

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a fun project!!

Keep us posted with pics!!

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Looks like a great find if ya ask me. If the trailer itself is good, which it looks like it is, you got your money's worth. Now what to do?..........

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
imported post

Yep nice find, first thing i would do is take that crank tongue jack off there and get a flip up one. Will look much nicer. They are readily available if you cant find one let me know and ill shoot you the model information i use.

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

just by chance, what is that model info you use so i can know better what i should be looking for. the tires do not have any dry rot and it has one brand spanking new spare. i will start by taking that whole box off and probably just build one the same size as the deck of the trailer. probably 16-18" tall. the width is not too far from what i want so i might try keeping it. its around 40" wide. we will have to see where the trailer ends up taking me.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
imported post

yeah i will have to call my supplier tomorrow they are the only ones i know that carries them that i have ever found, all the others are those huge ones like you have on there now. Not even etrailer has the small ones that i know of.

I get mine thru the local bike shop, they sell trailers so by chance i asked them one day if they could call the trailer mfg and see if i could buy the stand all by itself and i got two of them back then.

let me call them tomorrow and see if they have a phone number and part number for them. i have a reciept but its in the attack and i am in no position to be climbing right now lol i will get back to you asap.

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well now I have it painted black with metal flake. Looks pretty good. I still plan on painting the topper with black plastic paint. I think I am goin to get new high speed tires. After that I will pretty much be done aside from hooking up my new led lights. I used a roll back truck topper made from aluminum for my deck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I bought a new H.F. trailer last summer, mostly to haul the tiller and snow blower...notto tow withthe bike. Its a 4'x8' foldablewith the 12 inch wheels. Only after I got it home and started to assemble it, did I read that they recommend not exceeding 55 mph with it.

I do not know why, like if it is the tire ratings, bearings, the fold-up design or what? Just suggesting that you look into it before you guys take off down the highway. I had planned to at least get better tires and a professional balance job...before I ever took it up to freeway speeds. :waving:

It would be good to learn why, exactly, they don't want it towed too fast??? :?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

FenderHead wrote:
It would be good to learn why, exactly, they don't want it towed too fast??? :?
Liability reasons. Stuff like that happens when lawyers get involved.

No reason it can't be towed at 80, for instance, but if you have an accident, and they can prove you were doing 57 MPH, then they can say you did not use the trailer as it was designed.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

durangod wrote:
yeah i will have to call my supplier tomorrow they are the only ones i know that carries them that i have ever found, all the others are those huge ones like you have on there now. Not even etrailer has the small ones that i know of.

I get mine thru the local bike shop, they sell trailers so by chance i asked them one day if they could call the trailer mfg and see if i could buy the stand all by itself and i got two of them back then.

let me call them tomorrow and see if they have a phone number and part number for them. i have a reciept but its in the attack and i am in no position to be climbing right now lol i will get back to you asap.
Did you ever get the information on that flip up stand?

I'd be interested in one for my trailer too.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
imported post

littlewing wrote:
just by chance, what is that model info you use so i can know better what i should be looking for. the tires do not have any dry rot and it has one brand spanking new spare. i will start by taking that whole box off and probably just build one the same size as the deck of the trailer. probably 16-18" tall. the width is not too far from what i want so i might try keeping it. its around 40" wide. we will have to see where the trailer ends up taking me.
I believe what you want is a flip up 'stabilizer' type jack... you can find them online for around $20!

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Here's a couple of Pictures of a stand that Bagmaster had made for his trailer. I'm going to make one like this for my trailer. Seems easy enough if you have the material (Lowes Hdwr) and a welder.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
imported post

littlewing wrote:
Well now I have it painted black with metal flake. Looks pretty good. I still plan on painting the topper with black plastic paint. I think I am goin to get new high speed tires. After that I will pretty much be done aside from hooking up my new led lights. I used a roll back truck topper made from aluminum for my deck.
I need to find a set of fenders like those for my homemade trailer. (I temporarily used house gutters turned upside down... ;-))

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Our farm supply stores have fenders really cheap. Like 12 bucks each. Race Brothers, Orschelands, etc. are all around the area here.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

The jack on the front is a swivel up jack. If it were only swiveled 90 degrees with the pad under the battery box it would have looked much better for the picture. If you plan on sleeping on a platform on the trailer the screw jack will be much desired. Just put a couple of easily adjustable stabilizers on each back corner and then crank the tongue jack till you have the trailer level supported on 3 corners and you will have a rock solid bed.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
Our farm supply stores have fenders really cheap. Like 12 bucks each. Race Brothers, Orschelands, etc. are all around the area here.
Here we have TSC stores, and they sell for three times that much! (thats why I'm waiting... ;-))

Kind of like the gutter idea personally.. :cheesygrin:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
imported post

I like those removable rear lights.

tee hee, quick on, quick off. no fuss

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I like those removable rear lights.

tee hee, quick on, quick off. no fuss
Took them off their magnetic mounts, then used some Tiki Torch porch rail mounting brackets to attach to my trailer... seperate running/brake/turn lights LOL!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.