Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK guys again thanks for so many welcome messages. I have put up a few pics of the wing I picked up yesterday on my gallery. I have a number of questions and a few problems. I want to sort out a few of these soon but the full strip will start after the summer. Please have a look at the pics on my gallery and if you can tell me anything about the bike that would be great. This is what I have been told so far. Bike registered in Canada in 1978, imported to UK 1980, has done 91K miles. Is this original with fairing and box or has it all been added?
Why has the bike not got comstar wheels which is what I would have expected for this age? What type of fairing is it?Now the problems

Difficult to start
Idle at 1250 rpm but still lumpy
backfires on overrun
neutral light on all time gets brighter when in neutral
weaves quite badly over 80mph
throttle very stiff
front break very heavy back not very useful

Where do I start and in what order do I check things?
The bike runs quite well and has got one years mot

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

Sseveral choices, front to rear, rear to front, top to bottom or,,, bottom to top.

In the old days - when I was young and goofy - I'd get er runnin FIRST. - Who needs brakes anyway.

Now days - start with the brakes. What good is going if ya can't WHOA the chuncky monkey?

And I think it takes longer to heal now days.

Enjoy the new toy!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Well, the fairing is a Vetter aftermarket, the tank rack is aftermarket, the trunk is off an 1100 from the looks of it. The bags I've never seen, but also aftermarket.

Those rims are actually better than the comstars.

In fact the whole front end looks like it's off an 83 1100, notice the built-on fork brace.

the seat is custom recovered from the looks of it.

I like it!!

I'd pull those caliper covers and see if it has the 83 anti-dive trac system still on it. Doesn't look like it.

Since it has a weave at speed, sounds like the rearend isn't aligned right because it looks like they also put an 83 rear end on it.

Since it appears the front forks are off an 83 and the throttle feels tight then maybe the cables weren't routed correctly. The neutral light problem could be a bad ground some where, seen that one before.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

On mine ordered all new brakes part, then went thru the bike back to front looking for parts that did not look good.

after parts came in started at back and went to front. The reason I did back to front is because I want to tackle the hard stuff first.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

With brakes being the first thing to repair, the very next thing to address, IMHO, would be to address the timing belts. When were the timing belts last changed? If it is not known, then they need to be replaced. Should the timing belts fail while motor is running, pistons and valves will try occupy the same space at the same time. NOT A GOOD THING!!

I know timing belts were not on your list. However, if the engine goes, the bike won't.

Welcome to the forum!

Terry

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Go on Ebay UK and search "Forte engine treatment" and purchace a bottle of the injector cleaner. Pour approximately half the bottle into a full tank of petrol when the bike is running and rideable. This will clean your carbs out and get rid of varnish pretty good. If they aren't too gummed up, this may well get rid of the back firing problem and also get her running sweet.

Purchace a tube of Solvol Autosol and use with wire wool or silver kitchen foil to alleviate the surface rust to chromework.

Brake rebuild kits are readily available from either David Silvers or somewhere like Wemoto. ( a google search will throw up details of both)

Have the engine number and VIN number to hand when phoning for parts they usually ask for this to identify year and model. ( both should be on your V5) If not the Vin number is on the side of the headstock and the engine number is just below it I believe.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I have found that condensation in the crankcase can cause the neutral light to remain on. A good run and/or crankcase flush fixed mine.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks to all so far, hope for more info soon

Allan

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

The weaving could bea number of things, but here is an easy one to check until other ideas come in from folks....

Get bike on centre stand and line the front wheel up as straight as you can.

Get two long straight edges, angle iron, or two lengths of chipboard kitchen plinth, basically anthing you know to be straight and true and lay them down, one either side of the bike. With an assistant, maybe wife or girlfriend get the person to hold the handlebars so they are straight across the bike, whilst you lif the straight edges up and press them against the rear tyre walls. Looking down the straight edges, does the front wheel line up central of the straight edges? If not the forks could be twisted in the yokes and simpley loosening the yoke bolts and giving the forks a tweek may re align the whole thing, again use straight edges to check.

If all appears well in this area consider the tyres, are they old or worn? If so, get some now ones. Bridgestone Battleaxe are a reasonable price and have good handling for the GL1000's in the UK.

Next, with the assistance of that girlfriend/wife, get them to push down on the back of the bike whilst you grab a big fist full of the front forks. Push and pull them forwads and back and see if there is a lot of play, if there is, then the steeering race could be loose. While the lady is still pushing down, turn the handlebars gently from left ot right and see if you can feel any "graunching" or anthing but smooth movement. If so the steering head bearings may be tired and the cups pitted or damaged. Replace steering head bearings to rectify.

Okay, she can relax now and make you a cup fo tea, whilst you go to the back of the bike and get hold of the back wheel and push it from side to side to see that there is again no play. If there is then something is either loose or worn.

Drink tea and then try the same thing with the front wheel. Bearings will need replacing if there is sideways movement.

The girlfriend will now be standing there pretty redundant at this stage, so why not get her to sit on the bike and press the foot brake pedal down, whilst you do the hard bit and spin the wheel by hand. If the wheel spins well when the brake is off and then stops sharply when she stands on the brake pedal, then things may be as good as they get. Early Wings are not known for their stonking good back brakes. However a calliper re build may be worth while and you can get the seals and pistons etc from Dave Silvers or from Wemotos I believe.

If they haven't been changed over the years, the hoses for all the brakes might want changing sometime, the origionals may have got swollen and tired and not be working to full efficiency. Again, full braided brake hose kits are available and I have sen them on ebay a lot.

There you go Allan, that should keep you busy for the evening, providing you have a wife or girlfriend on hand to help. :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

taffallan wrote:
Thanks to all so far, hope for more info soon

Allan
Allan

You may care to send welshwinger a PM he is not far from you...

And welcome fom the real wales :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Hi;

Looks like you have a 1979 (instruments are "white needled") GL1000...the front forks are original, with an aftermarket fork brace installed and disc covers with drilled rotors. The wheels are Lester (very nice) and the rest of the bike looks like it is in very good condition. Weaving probably indicates an alignment issue or a front suspension issue or rear ...or both. I would probably have a competent bike mechanic conduct a thorough safety and then fix what he finds wrong. I have a 1978 GL1000 (naked, no fairing or bags) I find it handles alot better without all the other stuff on it...I removedthe Vetter equipment whenI bought it. This vintage of Wing was not designed to really accept all the touring stuff...you can work with this by adding new progressive springs to the front forks and possibly updating your rear suspension with 416 progressives or air shocks...makes a big difference.

If you require anymore info regarding your particular model I would suggestyou go to the following link...http://www.randakks.com/gal.htm

An excellent resource site with plenty of information regarding older Wings....Your have a wonderful motorcycle..I love mine, smooth, plenty of power and when properly maintained a joy to own...but, remember she's an old Gal and needs a little TLC...Good Luck.

Ride Safe, Be Safe

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.