Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have seen somewhere that you can get braided brake hoses for the wings. can someone give me a website or recommend a place to buy these or other places to stay away from? 1983 Goldwing standard

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

+1 on contacting Lopeha (Andy).....I think he could give better price that the ones at Vencowings and you also get to choose what color you want....

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

+1 on Andy

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Make sure you specify the '83 GL1100 brake lines. Their chart still shows all GL1100's with 3 Front lines. Not true with the '83 model. I thought they fixed that part.

'80-'82 should be 3 front lines, 1 rear.
'83 is 2 front lines, 1 rear. (like the GL1200 models)

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

He also shows an 83 being a 1200 :?I'd like to have the translucent yellow for my 84 Aspy but I'd have to talk to them before I make an order :)

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

If your looking for eye candy the braided lines look great.
If your looking for more durable brake hoses , the braiding does very little as brake hoses are steel braided inside the hose.
The 2 most common failures of brake hoses are the obvious outer leak and the infamous inner scalping of a piece of internal material that acts like a one way valve and allows fluid to pass one way only. This one way condition can be a real head scratcher when it occurs.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

I just ordered hoses from Andy. Good price. I am not looking for much helpfrom them. I am not convinced that the hoses are my mushy brake problem. At least I will have new lines on it and can work from there. It looks doable without removing the fairing except for replacing that damn air shield that the front hoses are attached to. Difficult to remove and probably more so to reinstall. Are speed bleeders worth the money? Bobby

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The thing I like about ordering from Andy is you can have custom length hoses made for a few bucks more.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
The thing I like about ordering from Andy is you can have custom length hoses made for a few bucks more.
AND you're supporting a fellow board member. Andy's a stand up guy (I've dealt with him on another deal).

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

BobbydSp wrote:
-------. Are speed bleeders worth the money? Bobby
I put them on my bike as I'm the lone ranger at this household. YES, They are the way to go.:action:

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

H.E.L.USA (Andy) sells the 1200 lines using one line for the left front caliper. Eliminates having to connect the short metal line. Sells clutch lines as one long one or can also sell it as two lines and a metal section as original.
Looking forward to getting my new lines and a set of bleeders and I hope put my brake problems to rest for a while. What fun it is to restore such a fine machine!
Bobby

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

machinehead wrote:
If your looking for more durable brake hoses , the braiding does very little as brake hoses are steel braided inside the hose.
That was my thought also but appears I was wrong.:shock:
I don't have an old Goldwing hose to cut but I did cut an old hose from my CB900C. About five strokes with a hacksaw and I was through and no sign of steal inside.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

machinehead wrote:
The 2 most common failures of brake hoses are the obvious outer leak and the infamous inner scalping of a piece of internal material that acts like a one way valve and allows fluid to pass one way only. This one way condition can be a real head scratcher when it occurs.
Not sure what you mean by your second line of text. Regular hoses have a rubber core, several layers of braided cloth, then a rubber outer coating.

The stainless braided lines have a PTFE Teflon inner core, followed by the stainless steel outer braiding, and a clear outer coating. So the brake fluid does not come into contact with anything but the Teflon core.

I'd say they are plenty durable, as the inner core should not break down over time like the rubber core.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

I have installed a set of lines from H.E.L.USA in Florida. Good people to deal with. Just E-mail Debra at sales. I am really pleased with the firm feel of my brakes now. I didn't do the clutch line because it is working well. These people give a 10% discount to forum members. The banjo ends were angled perfectly. I was not convinced that new lines wouldhelp but I am now. I have mine in a set in gold color that look good on Goldie.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Thanks, GoWing. OLd Goldie is finished now if one is ever 'finished'. Been fun doing all the repairs and upgrades. A two year project while riding 12,000 miles in between jobs. The brake lines were the last on my 'to-do' list. Should have been the first since they improved my brakes so much. Comparable to the external alternator in improving the bike, I think.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

I can try. I haven't done that on this forum yet. I did manage to post the profile pic of her.
Bobby

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.