Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey guys, just need to vent a few minutes. a couple of weeks ago, lost speedo, fuel gauge been trying to trace. no fuses blown now I don't have rear running lights, looked for 12v at connector, and not present, I hope I don't have to replace entire wiring harness what a bummer. anyway any hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thx Tom:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

The speedo is mechanical so it's not related to the lights and fuel gauge. The fuel and temp gauge, all the other instrument lights and tail light run off the same fuse do if the temp gauge still works it's not the fuse.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Tom, are you saying you lost the lights in the speedo and fuel guage or the units themselves stopped working. Unless some one added something, the 1100 doesn't have any lights on the rear except tail light, stop light and turn signals.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Jack I added Bates bags with 4 1157 lights. I use the outer 2 for signal and inner 2 for brakes and they all are used as running lights. they were working but now they are not. the speedometer gauge quit about a month ago and the fuel and temp gauge also.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

luv2ride,

I lost my running lights, but not the fuel. The running lights have a black crossover wire under the tag harness/box, that connects to a main wire from under the fender up to under the seat. Ohm it for current,and trace it. As for the fuel gauge, ohm out the wires under the seat on the top of the fuel sending unit. If you have any current goingto them, then it will be your sending unit inside the gas tank, simple to replace. I have one if needed. The Speedometer cable could be stripped, or the cable going could be loose, or the speedo unit on the tire could be loose or bad. I have a good one if needed. I had problems on 2. None on fuel. I just cleaned that. This fixed them.

Hope this helps.

Nightrider1

(Edited for typos, amd I have a sending unit if needed)

luv2ride wrote:

hey guys, just need to vent a few minutes. a couple of weeks ago, lost speedo, fuel gauge been trying to trace. no fuses blown now I don't have rear running lights, looked for 12v at connector, and not present, I hope I don't have to replace entire wiring harness what a bummer. anyway any hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thx Tom:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Jackjohn,

My Gl100 Sandard come with runing lights, added by the 1st owner.

Nightrider1

jackjohn wrote:
Hi Tom, are you saying you lost the lights in the speedo and fuel guage or the units themselves stopped working. Unless some one added something, the 1100 doesn't have any lights on the rear except tail light, stop light and turn signals.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I have Bates on mine. I use all 4 for running lights, and all 4 for brakes. The Turn signals are separate up top.

Nightrider1

luv2ride wrote:
Jack I added Bates bags with 4 1157 lights. I use the outer 2 for signal and inner 2 for brakes and they all are used as running lights. they were working but now they are not. the speedometer gauge quit about a month ago and the fuel and temp gauge also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Fuel Guage and Temp. Check the 7 volt regulator behind the Guages. It is brass looking, Roughly 1 inch length x 1/2 inch tall.

Nightrider1

(edited for typos)

luv2ride wrote:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thx for all the info nightrider1 I will check those things today. weather gonna be nice on Turkey Day.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Copy this pic, and Enlarge it. It is compressed. The original size was too big.

Jluvs2dive

Happy ThanksGiving to you and Yours also.You too.

I was checkiing the manual, and from the control unit there is a Black/brown wire (looks 2nd from rear)0 and a fuse (L shaped connectors Black under the false gas tank about 1 inch wide, 1/2 inch long, 1/4inch depth) that controls your Fuel and Heat Sensors on your insturment cluster. The Bronze 7 volt regulator also runs from this same black/brown wire. If you have an ohm meter, ground the Negative to the frame, and check the Black/brown connection on the control unit (Mabe Voltge Regular) on the front side (Rowards the Light.) If there is no power to it, it is the fuse. It is difficult to find, but it is in the MAIN Wiring harness usually can get to it with 2 fingers behind the frame bar. If you are getting power from the control box, then it looks like you will need to replace the 7 volt regulator. I hve all you need, even the blinkers like I got. We are not that far way from each other. I live in Gadsden, and I would love to help you fix this, and install a separate set of blinkers like mine, and run your Bates Lights as all Running and all Brake Lights, and have the blinkers separate. I am good at tracing.repairing these, and If you can come Down this weekend, we can work on it in my shop.

You need to bring nothing, because I have everything, and we can fix it probably fairly easy, but the rear brake system will taeke around a day to break down, repair, and put the Blinker System on. All we will need is 2 Single wire Blinker lights.

I should also be able to fix your speedometer, and Temp/Fuel Guage/sensors. These are on page 8/4-8/5 in the manual, but on the fuel sensor/brakes will take 1 day, and the instrumrents we may be able to work into the night and repair. If I could afford to stay overnite in a motel, I'd come up there, but I have to live on disibility, and I cannot afford it, but I am good at what I do. (Except TYPING LOL) I built mine up from the Ground up. Ask AZ what it looks like, and GLester about the rear light system on mine. The only thing I could not do was to sync my carbs, but I learned that in Calhoun. I am also going to post this on the tech site under your post along with the simple wiring diagram.

Thanks,

David Aka Nightrider1

(Edited for typos)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

replace the fuses..get that out of the way!....i had a charcoaled intact fuse once...was only 12 yrs old!!:D

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Looks like Nightrider has you on the right track. The speedo is likely a broken cable and the Fuel/Volt guages are probably the 7 volt power supply under the plastic cover between the tach and speedo. (there is a guy on ebay that sells a replacement unit for a reasonable price)Nightrider will be the best help with the running lights as he has the same set up. Good luck and good hunting.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Nightrider thx so much for the info, I did resolve the lights today but still have to tackle fuel, temp and speedo. I have to work all week end, but I really do appreciate the offer that you made. I haven't been on this forum but a few months but I have read alot of your posts and replies and I can tell that you are great guy and always willing to lend a hand. I will keep you in mind if I can't get these problems resolved soon. again thx for everything.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

luv2ride,

I have a 7 volt regulator. It is yours for the address. Just PM it to me. (You will have to take your faring off to replace it,) but I would searchfor the fuse first. (Under the false tank, behind the frame bar on the main wiring harness)Remember to ohm it out on the right side, and then on the left side of the fuse, cloest to the front of the Goldwing). If nothing on the left, it is the fuse. I also have one of those for an 80. Both the 7 volt regulator and the fuse will work on the 81.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

(Edited for typos)

luv2ride wrote:

Nightrider thx so much for the info, I did resolve the lights today but still have to tackle fuel, temp and speedo. I have to work all week end, but I really do appreciate the offer that you made. I haven't been on this forum but a few months but I have read alot of your posts and replies and I can tell that you are great guy and always willing to lend a hand. I will keep you in mind if I can't get these problems resolved soon. again thx for everything.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Juv2ride,

To make a simple checkon your Speedometer cable, set the bike on the center stand, and put a board on top of a jack, and jack it up tp where the front wheel is off the groind. Disconnect the cable from the speedometer cluster, and spin your front wheel, as you are watching the speedometer cable. If you see it is turning ok, hold the cable lightly with your finers, and spin the tire around. If it does not spin, make sure the cable going into the speedometer unit on the wheel is not loose.There is1 simple screw holding the cable in, and itcan easily come loose. If it isn't, the cable may be stripped. If both work, it will probably be your speedometer in the instrument cluster/gauges behind your handle bars.

If it all works,the Speedometer unit is bad at the wheel, I have one. Just pm me your address. (If you recently changed/had your front tire off, it could be mis-aligned) check and see if the Seedometer unit on the wheel has NO space between it and the tire. if there is, loosten your tire, and slowly turn the speedo Unit until it sets firmly against the wheel.

Hope this helps,

Nightrider1

(Edited for typos)

luv2ride wrote:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

luv2ride,

If you have any trouble,PM me, and I will give you my cell number, and I will walk you throgh any of the help needed.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

luv2ride wrote:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Okay, spent some time with the bike today. found out the following.

1. the speedometer cable is broke

2. the tachometer cable is working

3. still haven't gotten the fuel gauge and temp gauge aren't working because the P.O did a crappy job when he decided to do some modifications.

so bottom line is I'm looking for a wiring harness and a speedometer cable.

Nightrider1 the schematic you pasted helped alot. but I can wiggle connectors and I lose voltage, so it's probably best to replace the harness at this point.

Thx Tom

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Luv2ride,

I have a speedo cable. Looked at it a few seconds ago in my room. It's yours for the shipping. I also have a wiriing harness, but the cable to the tail lights have been cut off. I don't know how difficult it will be to get off, or when the weather will let me get out to pull it. been raining a lot here.

Nightrider1

Nightrider1

luv2ride wrote:
Okay, spent some time with the bike today. found out the following.

1. the speedometer cable is broke

2. the tachometer cable is working

3. still haven't gotten the fuel gauge and temp gauge aren't working because the P.O did a crappy job when he decided to do some modifications.

so bottom line is I'm looking for a wiring harness and a speedometer cable.

Nightrider1 the schematic you pasted helped alot. but I can wiggle connectors and I lose voltage, so it's probably best to replace the harness at this point.

Thx Tom

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

nightrider1 I have the speedo cable taken care of, found one last night for 11 dollars. definitely interested in the wiring harness though. when you get a chance let me know what the cost is.
Thx
Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.