Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Okay, who's brave enough to aire their dirty laundry andadmit the most stupid mistake/error they've ever made with their Goldwing?

Let's say you know someone who was changing their oil, and let's say that person took great care, as always (he's done this literally hundreds of times over the years) to do it correctly; and, let's say, just for the sake of an interesting story, this person started the bike to let the oil warm up, that he drained the oldoil, removed the filter then primed the new filter with fresh oil then installed it correctly and replaced the drain plug - with a new crush washer to boot! He even took time to clean the engine oildrain and filter area to be tidy. I'm pretty impressed with this guy...must be a neat freak.

Now, let's say this person was at that point distracted for a bit and when he returned to the bike he started it to check for leaks as he always does. The engine's purring beautifully as always.

Moments later, maybe a minute or so, certainlyno more, hesuddenly realized, "THERE'S NO FREEKIN OIL IN THE ENGINE!!!!!"He quickly shuts her down and promptly breaks down into a pitiful shell of a man- not a pretty thing to see...a 51 year old man slinging snot like ateenagedgirl. Although there was no smoke, no foreignnoise, no grinding, no knocking, no missing,he's devistatednonetheless.He somehowmusters the composure to finish the job. 4 quarts of Honda synthetic blendwere added and then...the moment of truth...will she start...will she run...will she smoke...?????

WILL SHE????

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

:headbanger:

:alco:

Well, she fired right up like always. No hesitation, no smoke, no knocking...no apparent problem.He lovingly mounts her, apologizing profusely, then takes her for a short ride. All sounds and feels right, but is it?

Now, this ain't me. I would never be so absent minded
. Okay, so it happened once before 35 years ago while changing the oil inmy new Pontiac Trans Am.Fired the thing right up with no oil in it and let her run until I noticed smokebegin to boil from thoseshiny chrome dual exausts. Then, it dawned on me...CRAP, no oil.Managed to shut her down and fill herup. Drove her for years after that. But, I would never make that mistake twice in one lifetime...not me...

What do y'all think...does this guy have to worry about his 1800?

Any of y'all ever done this...tell the truth?

DeDubya :18white:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No, that's one I haven't tried... yet. I've certainly done equally ah... dumb things but not that one, so far. I'd say you didn't do the engine any particular good but probably didn't do any serious damage in a minutes time especially if it was at idle.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
No, that's one I haven't tried... yet. I've certainly done equally ah... dumb things but not that one, so far. I'd say you didn't do the engine any particular good but probably didn't do any serious damage in a minutes time especially if it was at idle.
Hey, I said it wasn't me... :byebye:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It was a rhetorical "you.":cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a lesson learned for whomever to not take a simple but important task and get distracted.

I was changing oil on the XK8 last week, and my wife announces that dinner is ready. I did not stop and go inside. I finished the job and test-fired the engine.

I KNOW I'm Adult ADD, and would not trust myself to go in for dinner and come out to properly finish the job.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it. It's a lesson learned for whomever to not take a simple but important task and get distracted.

I was changing oil on the XK8 last week, and my wife announces that dinner is ready. I did not stop and go inside. I finished the job and test-fired the engine.

I KNOW I'm Adult ADD, and would not trust myself to go in for dinner and come out to properly finish the job.
Thanks for the assurance.

Don't think he's too worried about damage. Just kicking himself for such a lapse of concentration. Oilsare much better now days - especially synthetics and blends.The residual oil film along with the new oil in the filterwould protect surfaces for a minute I'd think.Bet he doesn't do it again,huh?

DW

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Well DW, I've done similar, not to a Wing, but to a 350 (402 by the time it was built) built for my buddy's stock-car.

We dropped the new engine in (amidst a few beers and some interesting thing on Speedvision). He saw me go to the barrels (1 oil, 1 antifreeze, 1 rear end oil, all in 50 gallon barrels, 1 grease in 50lbs barrel, all with air pumps on them) to get anti-freeze, thought I went to get oil.

I saw him go to the barrels and do something (to this day I don't know what), and thought HE got oil.

Valves had been pre-set during assembly, fired her up, listened to the open headers cackle in the garage for a few minutes, drove her up on the trailer.

Did I mention open headers? Needless to say, with open headers on a stock car engine, there is no humanly possible way to hear hydraulic lifters rattling due to lack of lubrication.

Get to the track, down off the trailer she comes, call to pack the track comes...Dennis made 1.33 laps and stopped dead.

Push truck shoved him back in, he doesn't know what happened, she just died. He'd noticed that the oil pressure gauge wasn't moving at all, so he just figured we hadn't hooked it up (not an uncommon thing in that car).

Hmmmm...maybe a bad oil pump?

Quick swap of the engine so he could at least get out for the 2nd heat, and now that I have time to think (and he's out on the track), I try to turn the crank a little by hand...and it won't budge. WTF??

Pull the stick, you guessed it! He thought I put oil in, I thought he put oil in, neither of us pulled the stick trusting the other had done the deed...and 1.3 laps into packing the track, that baby ran herself out of graphite assembly lube.:X

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
imported post

I bought a used powerboat and the dealer demonstrated the thing by hooking up a hose and cuffs to the outboard.

After an hour and a a half of boating something went bang.

He hadn't checked the oil in the lower unit and I assumed it was OK.

He was good about it and replaced the whole lower gearbox.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Tell your buddy to cup his hand and fill it with oil, then have him dump the oil into a proper container.

He will notice that although he has dumped the oil, plenty still remains on his hands...

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:
Tell your buddy to cup his hand and fill it with oil, then have him dump the oil into a proper container.

He will notice that although he has dumped the oil, plenty still remains on his hands...
Good idea ob1.

It would be fun to read about more stories about those kinds of moments we all have.

I wouldn't have thought the race car and boat would have run near that long.

I'll check in tonight. Getting ready to leave for a full day of riding. It's beautiful out.

DeDub

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

The first time I changed the oil on a wing, it went perfectly.

Satisfied, I rode out for a pleasant afternoon ride. Stopped at the gas station, thought, I'll check the level again. Looks good.

Topped off the gas tank, fired the bike up, and felt oil on my right calf/boot. I had taken the fill cap off for some reason and didnt put it back on... doh!

Not much oil out, but pretty stupid, and thats what the thread was about...

·
Administrator
27,888 Posts
imported post

I doubt it hurt anything at all those Honda engines are tough.I have seen Honda car engines run for several miles with no oil, the first thing to go would be the cams seizing in the head.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

There is a difference between West nile virus & "C" nile virus although from what you have described D dub, it just sounds like someone had a lil blooper. were all guilty of that kind of thing from time to time! I dont think any damage happened because you would hear it or feel it if something changed!

Bet that will never happen to that rider again!:action:

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:

Yes, but oil does more than just lubricate an engine - it's also used for heat removal as well. I doubt DW's engine got hot enough in a couple minutes of running to cause a problem however.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

A similar story...

I had a 1982 Datsun 200SX, my first car, when I was 17. I was showing my youngest brother how to change the oil in a car, just before the two of us took an 8-hour drive down to Washington DC in it.

I showed him how to take the old filter off, and let him put the new one on. I filled it with oil, checked it, no leaks, everything looked good.

What I didn't check was that he had lubricated the gasket on the filter with oil before putting it on - I had forgotten that he had never done this before, and wouldn't know to do this.

When we got to Washington, I checked the oil...and there wasn't any. I looked under the engine, and saw the remnants of the oil dripping from the oil filter. I have no idea how much of the eight hours we ran with little or no engine oil. I replaced the filter and filled it back up again, and never had a problem with the car after that.

Well, until I put it into the side of a Firebird and into a tree at about 40 mph, that is. But that's another story.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

All I can say is...been there done that....:shock:....A co worker of mine at the chemical plant bought his daughter this really super clean Camero 6 banger..Owner and operated by this "little old lady who only drove it to church" yeah sure, and after church she drove it to the drag strip....:shock::shock:...His daughter made three trips to college and home...Then my buddy had the oil changed and about 100 miles down the road back to college it started rattling like crazy.....We took my truck and rented a car hauler to get that Camero back to my house.....Pulled that engine found the most disgusting mess in the block..It was either "motor honey' or axle grease????...One rod bearing had rolled over on the top of the other half and the other 5 rod bearings were in really bad shape....The crank main bearings were toast too.....I bought a crank kit, New rings, had to buy two new rods, had the block boiled out, Then had the machine shop install new cam bearings and a new cam, they found one flat lobe...Then they balanced the new rods and the old ones....Engine is now like brand new......

Now its finished and it won't crank and run for crap....Then I had a thought, I pulled the spark plugs that my youngest son had put in for me.!!!!!!! Sure enough three of them the gap was closed, one the ceramic was broken and only two of them had the right gap...Then my son says "OH I dropped them"....Re gap two replaced four and it ran like a new one.....

Four years later my buddy's daughter traded that Camero off for a new car and it still was running great....Yeah silly things can make you wanna cry like a little girl....Yeah been there done that.....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
ob1quixote wrote:

Yes, but oil does more than just lubricate an engine - it's also used for heat removal as well. I doubt DW's engine got hot enough in a couple minutes of running to cause a problem however.
Remember, this wasn'tme, but from what the guy says, :D, the temp guage hadn't started to rise yet. The engine had cooled down significantlyafter draining the oil and before starting it up w/o oil. After filling it up and restarting it, the temp guage began to rise normally. It didn't run but a minute without a full crankcase of oil.

Thanks,

dw

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
ob1quixote wrote:

my point exactly...

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
imported post

I changed a tran in a van about three years ago,and had my soninlaw put the tran floud in,drove the van about two days and it went out.Checked it and he had put moter oil in it I told him how to fill it and check it but made the mistake of thinking he know to put trans floud in it not moter oil.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Well luckily I haven't forgoten to put oil in an engine, but, I have caught a few on fire.

We had a flying service with planes that ran 100 octane. Now mind you my little brother and I were enterprising kiddo's and let me tell you we had some B&S engines that would run like nothing under the sun and produce copious amounts of horsepower, for a stock Briggs. Well I had the lucky task of tilling the garden and of course the engine conks out, so I take it in the barn for servicing. Well after cleaning and regapping the points she was just a talkin, well time for refueling and back to the task at hand. Yep you guessed it, I spilled the fuel on the hot exhaust. Flames shot up looking like a couple of celebs with their hair on fire! Luckily there was a water hose nearby and the barn was saved..... same thing happened to a hopped up lawn mower, but that's another story......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.