Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Canada Bob
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have ordered the seals for my front calipers to do a servicing on them. My front brakes drag a bit.

My question is.... should I order new pistons or attempt to clean up my old ones if they are in need of it?

I read the DIY on the caliper re-build and well within my capabilities. I justdont want to have the brakes apart and have to wait for pistons to come in.

Over to you, oh experts of the web:?

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Unless the pistons are in really bad shape they should clean up fine. On cagers I have used a very fine emery cloth and some good ol WD40. As long as they are not pitted and have damage from corrosion, you should be able to use them over.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I don't know about motorcycle calipers as much as I know about automobile calipers and wheel cylinders(drum brakes), but I have either....
1. Honed them out prior to rebuild or
2. Used some emery cloth and just roughed the piston
and cylinder walls.
Never had any issues with either method for leakage.

Anybody is welcome to correct me if you think this is wrong...but because brake fluid (dot 3 & 4) must be able to absorb moisture, you may have some pitting on your pistons. Cleaning the cylinder wall and piston is normally enough to keep everthing working. If your pistons are badly pitted or corroded, I would replace them. MY .02

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Agree with the two postings, unless they are really bad clean up and fit the seals, after all its the seals and caliper walls that make the seal

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
imported post

Just a thought, but if the brakes still drag,.. could the front master cylinder be in need of Rebuild:cool:??? Just a thought:cool::cool::cool:!!! :cooldj:Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.