Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, as much as I love my 1500, maintenance is a proper PITA :mad:
Decided to replaced my front brake pads today. Front right was pretty straight forward but the left (linked to the rear) had a seized pad retaining pin.
Squirted some lube on and left it. Wouldn't budge. Put a 5mm allen in and gave it some serious percussion and tried again. Started to feel some movement and the allen spun inside the pin.
Got a multi-spline and tapped it in then gave it another hammering. Nope, it just wrung out too.
I've got a little meat left on the pads, nearly worn to the centre groove, so it's still rideable.
Checked on eBay and there's only 1 second-hand caliper available in all of Europe?! o_O
£100 too :oops:

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Decided to replaced my front brake pads today. Front right was pretty straight forward but the left (linked to the rear) had a seized pad retaining pin.
Squirted some lube on and left it. Wouldn't budge. Put a 5mm allen in and gave it some serious percussion and tried again. Started to feel some movement and the allen spun inside the pin.
Got a multi-spline and tapped it in then gave it another hammering. Nope, it just wrung out too.
I've got a little meat left on the pads, nearly worn to the centre groove, so it's still rideable.
Checked on eBay and there's only 1 second-hand caliper available in all of Europe?! o_O
i had the same thing happen to me, I ended up drilling a small hole in the pin head and kept using bigger and bigger drill bits. At a certain point the pin will actually break away from the pin head, keep going using slightly bigger and bigger drill bits, I got my pin removed without damaging and threads. Be careful not to go too deep and if you have a drill press use it to keep the bit straight.

good luck

·
Administrator
29,136 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me, I ended up drilling a small hole in the pin head and kept using bigger and bigger drill bits. At a certain point the pin will actually break away from the pin head, keep going using slightly bigger and bigger drill bits, I got my pin removed without damaging and threads. Be careful not to go too deep and if you have a drill press use it to keep the bit straight.

good luck
I was about to write the same thing.

Reactions: Nitrowing

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
413 Posts
As much as I do actually like weight saving on my vehicles... :giggle:
Titanium doesn't corrode 🤓
I doubt that pad pin retaining pin got stuck in its hole due to corrosion. It was no doubt torqued too tightly.
The OEM pin works just fine when torqued to no more than 18 N-m / 13 ft-lb.

I went through the same process as gford several years ago. One of the pins was seized because the service mechanic that replaced the pads over torqued it. That was many years and multiple pad changes since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had similar issue with side case...but because I can't afford to pay someone to do fixes on all my old stuff, i bought a set of left hand drills...they are designed to drill counterclockwise. I step drill from 1/16, 1/8, 3/16 and once the inner material is moved out AND ALLOWED TO COOL A BIT, it spins right out with the next bit....I also found that you can make your own with a grinding wheel...
Much luck

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a new pair of pins ready. I did wonder about reverse cutting drill bits but didn't look in to it as I didn't think there'd be any reason for them to exist!

·
Administrator
29,136 Posts
I have a new pair of pins ready. I did wonder about reverse cutting drill bits but didn't look in to it as I didn't think there'd be any reason for them to exist!
They do exist exactly for extracting broken bolts and work as well or better than anything else made for that purpose.

Reactions: Nitrowing
1 - 14 of 14 Posts