Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey gang,

I am going to replace my brakes lines, brakes get soft once the fluid/temp goes up. Where is a good place to purchase the caliper rebuild kits and M/C rebuild kits? Don't need pads at this point.

If I am going to do it, might as well complete the job while I am in there.

Thanks in advance
Toy4Rick

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

If you're going to replace brake lines, you might as well do the clutch lines too and change them with stainless steel. If your brake lines are aged, then your clutch lines might be ready to give up the ghost too.

http://www.vencowings.com are good people and they havestainless steel line kits for about 170 to do all the brake lines. Rebuild kits per caliper will probably run about 25 bucks a shot, andI'm not sure how much their master cylinder kits or the clutch stainless lines go for.

You can also checkcyclemax in ohio. They're good with parts and prices are as good as vencowings.

When it comes to stopping, it's smart not to go the cheap route like you're suggesting, but have you tried bleeding out the old fluid and pumping new fluid in? Maybe you got some old gunk inside the calipers and it might get flushed out that way?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Rebuild kits will tend to run around $150 for a bit less for the three master cylinders, three calipers and clutch slave cylinder. Replacing brake lines isn't a bad idea but the clutch line is probably in better shape since the clutch line doesn't have the higher pressures exerted on itas the brakes do on their hoses.

Good sources: Old Bike Barn, Bike Bandit, eBay, just about anyplace except Saber Cycle. Besides their nasty manner, the brake master cyliinder kits I got from them had pistons that didn't fit the cylinder bores. The rubber parts were okay but the pistons were too big. Their response to me was that they'd been obtaining kits from the same vendors for years and never had a problem. Apparently I had an undersized cylinder bore. (?) So I steer clear of them.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys for the info.

I change the fluids every year and have since I bought it in 04. I did purchase the brake lines from VencoWings, set of 3 so I should be good to go there.

Just need to find the rebuild kits

Thanks again

Toy4Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.