Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Folks

Now that Honda have conveniently decided to obsolete the front calipers for the 1200 :X I have a question for you Guru's and fellow members out there.:waving:
Did Honda fit this type of caliper to anything else?
Did anyone fit this caliper to anything else.
Has anyone found a third party supplier of calipers to fit a GL1200. Must be an upgrade somewhere as the original is pretty damn poor performance wise.
I don't want to use second hand parts. Does this mean I am screwed? :gunhead:

Thanks
BB

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Black Bart wrote:
Hi Tricky

Thanks for the reply, don't need it fixed , just need to know if there are alternatives/upgrades is all

Thanks
BB
It would seem possible to adapt other calipers easily enough with a bit of machining, but you might have a problem with the anti-dive. As far as keeping the old ones operational, as long as rubber seals are available, what's to wear out? I've seen some pretty pitted brake cylinders repaired by wiping with plastic epoxy and honing. Crude but it seemed to work. Of course one could always bore out the cylinder and resleeve it. Pistons would be relatively easy to make.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Exavid

I agree , and the same can be said for pitted forks etc, the world I live in would be greeted by blank faces if I wanted to rebore a caliper and machine a piston, I know you guys in the states have access to all kinds of resources when it comes to custom parts which makes me wanna :crying:

All I wanna know is .........

Is there a 3rd party replacement / upgrade to the calipers on a 1200.

:stumped:

BB

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I am still wondering why you need to upgrade? I can lock up the wheels on my 1200 with the calipers that are on there now.

Oh for anti lock brakes? sigh, just cant afford a new wing :)

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Black Bart wrote:
All I wanna know is .........

Is there a 3rd party replacement / upgrade to the calipers on a 1200.

BB
BB, maybe, but I just checked my brake books & Brembo, & the other performance brake suppliers don't list much for a bike that old (My books are about a year old though).

Even if you install new caliper(s) you still have those small rotors to deal with. Those older Wing brakes were pretty good for their time but are a little lacking against the modern multi-piston large disk brakes of today.

One thing that could help your brakes work better is installing braided stainless steel lines. While they won't increase the swept area the will allow a lot better brake control & pressure modulation.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yeah its possible to lock up with front and rear applied, I put 2 fingers on the front brake of my PAN and it stops, I want to improve the front brake performance , the bike stops fine with both brakes applied, the rear brake operates the right hand caliper + the rear caliper, the front brake operates the left hand caliper only, on its own it is weak.

If the front lever operated both front calipers that would be good, if the left caliper could be beefed up, that would also be good ,surely ther must be some monster brembo upgrade out there somewhere....;-)

BB

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Black Bart wrote:
Yeah its possible to lock up with front and rear applied, I put 2 fingers on the front brake of my PAN and it stops, I want to improve the front brake performance , the bike stops fine with both brakes applied, the rear brake operates the right hand caliper + the rear caliper, the front brake operates the left hand caliper only, on its own it is weak.

If the front lever operated both front calipers that would be good, if the left caliper could be beefed up, that would also be good ,surely ther must be some monster brembo upgrade out there somewhere....;-)

BB
BB, I hear you on those HD brakes. I also have a few other bikes with the Harley having the best brakes. Those early Wings take a lot of rear brake to get max front braking & that is just hard to do if you are used to a Harley with great stand alone front brakes & an easily locked rear brake.My Wing brakes also fade much easier than the HD. A good hard stop from 100mph+ & the Wing is pretty well used up until it's brakes cool. My HD will give me 3 good stops from that speed before I have to ease up for a while.

One thing in my future plans is finding & installing an early Wing front master cylinder (from a Wing without linked brakes). That should give me a master cylinder with enough capacity to allow re-plumbing to both front brakes on the hand lever master cylinder & a stand alone rear.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

100 mph emergency stop, jees this is a wing, a comfortable touring machine not a crotch rocket.
We have a speed limit of 100 k on the 400 series highways sure people travel a lot faster than that but if running a wing at 100 mph so consistantly that you need to beef up the stopping power, I suggest you change your steed. :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd agree with tricky for sure. There's no doubt a rider with ability and Twisty is, vouchsafed by his continued presence, can operate a Goldwing at high speeds, it really isn't designed for this type operation. It's likely you might run out of brakes that way. On the other hand the Goldwings of all vintages seem to have sufficient brakes for touring use. You can find better brakes in an Indy car, but the brakes on my grandpa car (Mercury Grand Marquis) are more than adequate for it's designed use.

Daily on the freeways around the Seattle/Tacoma area I see guys hot rodding sport bikes at high speeds in and around traffic. These fellows are just plain fools. Not to mention they show no regard for the mayhem they may precipitate and the risks to the lives of sensible drivers on the road. We have had three deaths caused by this type of riding this spring. Doesn't help much with the image of motorcycling or the cost of insurance.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

tricky wrote:
100 mph emergency stop, jees this is a wing, a comfortable touring machine not a crotch rocket.
We have a speed limit of 100 k on the 400 series highways sure people travel a lot faster than that but if running a wing at 100 mph so consistantly that you need to beef up the stopping power, I suggest you change your steed. :)

If a bike is capable of 120mph then its brake system needs to be capable of stopping it. A linked system is an added safety feature and not a replacement for front stopping power.

:weightlifter:

Improving front brake performance is a safety issue, you can reach that lever far quicker then you can operate therear brake, few of us run around covering the rear lever. Speed, crotch rockets etc are irrelevant.I believe you should be able to ride a 1200 Goldwing without the constant thought in the back of your mind that you know that front brake is poor.

Twisty -thats exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about ,being able to link both front calipers would be a good solution to the problem, maintaining the front rear split would be essential as combined braking is a great safety feature. I am surprised no one has done this before though? :shock:

BB

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
Tricky, travel speed is all relative to what you are used to & the prevailing traffic patterns in your local. In my area, freeway speeds seem to be on the higher end of United States average with center lanes moving in the 80 mph range & far left lanes averaging in the low to high 90's. This in not continuous but happens often in moderate to light rush hour traffic. I have never been a lagger so try to keep up with traffic (well my says I mostly lead it) so that means running at speeds of vehicles around me.

I'm a fast traveler when in my cage so doing so on a motorcycle doesn't really bother me. Problem is; a lot of the newer performance cars have great brakes, very aggressive performance tires, ABS, active roll control, etc. That leaves my older Wing at a disadvantage in a max stopping battle. If I try to leave lots of stopping room it's just asking for cages to swerve in & cut you off. My one big advantage on a motorcycle is there isusually someplace to swerve to if I can't stop quickly enough.

Keeping things in perspective, I use my Wing as a commuter vehicle & ride most every place I go, most weather (except ice). The other day I even used it to get 3 bags of water softener salt. When I commute in traffic thats a far cry from cruising at a touring pace on a lazy back road.
I suggest you change your steed.
Actually I do have someother 2-wheelers (no crotch rockets though). They have their place & I do like an aggressive ride occasionally. The thing is; I bought my 1200 Wing as it is the cats ass for a commuter bike. Good weather protection, great low speed handling, will cruise at 90+ all day long, plenty of cargo space (something lacking in my other rides), fair fuel mileage, lots of brake lights, (just generally a good ride). The only thing it seems to lack is great brakes (they're good but not great). Part of my brake complaint is probably me also. Having ridden Harleys for years I just can't seem to pound on that rear brake pedal real hard in an emergency (if you do that on a Harley it will easily lock). I also like an independent rear brake as I use the rear brake as a low speed steering aid & as a slowing aid when over-extended in a fast curve.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Black Bart wrote:

Improving front brake performance is a safety issue, you can reach that lever far quicker then you can operate therear brake, few of us run around covering the rear lever. Speed, crotch rockets etc are irrelevant.I believe you should be able to ride a 1200 Goldwing without the constant thought in the back of your mind that you know that front brake is poor.

Twisty -thats exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about ,being able to link both front calipers would be a good solution to the problem, maintaining the front rear split would be essential as combined braking is a great safety feature. I am surprised no one has done this before though? :shock:
BB, about the only way to "link both front calipers" & still "maintain(ing) the front rear split would be to add new front calipers with extra pistons for seperate front & rear apply (I believe BMW uses such a system on some of their K & R bikes). My plan is to just have both front brakes on the hand lever & just the rear on the foot pedal. Being a long time Harley rider I use an aggressive Taper Braking method of moderate rear brake,moderate front brake until full weighttransfer to the front, then slowly releasing the rear brake while progressively squeezing that front brake until the front tire starts talking to me. Waiting until full weight transfer to the front means it's darn near impossible to completely lock the front on decent pavement. Where a lot of people get into trouble with a front brake is applying too much front brake too soon (before weight transfer) & in that caseit's pretty easy to lock the frontbrake. Once that brake locks there is no more weight transfertherefore not much front tire traction.

I have been through a couple of Police & performance training programs & they teach aggressive brake usage (mostly based on individual brake systems).

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Did you ever change your brakes on the gl1200 to dual front disk opperation ?

vfr800 have linked brakes and three piston rear caliper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.