Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys...I currently have the standard single pot calipers on the front of my 82 wing with the large full discs on ...I also have a good pair of twin pot calipers with vented discs that I am proposing to swap my originals for....would I be getting any more improvement. ( I should let you know that it is a naked wing fitted with stainless steel goodridge hoses on front and back ). I think they would look good...but thats of no use if there is no real practical benefit

your thoughts please.....

seane

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I cannot see any improvement in changing. If your brakes are not working well, the first places to look are things such as when the fluid was changed last. do the caliper pins allow them to "float" properly, are the pads good, do the main, and brake calipers need rebuilding.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks for the reply matt...the current calipers on the bike are A1..rebuilt with new pistons, pads and seals...new fluid and work fine..only reason I'm asking about changing is if any of you guys had done the same in the past and looking to use your experience...
seane

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

College Physics/forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif.. the mechanical advantage of a brake system is controlled  mostly by the ratio  of master to slave internal  piston areas.. and slightly by the length of the hand grip (mechanical advantage  of your hand muscles over the  system) ....... steel  brake lines  will change the "throw" before the force is at maximum (as the rubber hoses take up  the pressure by expanding/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif ), but  better brake lines  will not affect the mechanical advantage........ You will get a firmer brake, and brisker response .. but not  a stronger final force .......... Do you know the relative ratio of your "twin piston" internal  piston areas , compared to your stock pistons ??                                                                                                                       If your single piston  calibers have the pivot  pin well lubed, and both pads are new, and the caliber  pistons slide.. then there is no change   in Mech . Advantage... unless the internal areas  are different .. SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

when I put an eml sidecar on my 1200, the rear brake line that was supposed to go to the front was changed to do the sidecar brake. To have both fronts work I got a T connector changed the hoses so the front master cylinder did both brakes.... here is where phsycs happen.... the brake lever went all the way to the grip and the front brake was mushy and weak. To solve this problem, I switched master cylinders with my '78 wing. the 78 had two front brakes with two lorge brake cylinders, whereas the 1200 had (now) two front brakes with four smaller cylinders. the long and the short was they worked switched out. Junst remember thatr if you change one thing, you may have to change soemthing else as well

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Mavman

Do you know if the 4 pot calipers are a direct fit onto the forks?

I have a similar problem, though for different reasons, one of my 2 pot calipers has cracked near the bleed nipple (previous owner had used 'araldite' to secure it in place!!), Ihaven't found areplacement (yet), there is a new one available in Holland but at £140+ it's a bit steep.

I know some have previously questioned upgrades such as this (not on this thread) but with today's crowded roads, anything that can haul me up safer and quicker has to be an advantage.

Regards

FX

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey FXRman :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.