Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I put DOT 3 brake fluid in clutch reservoir. Soaked as much up as I could and took her for a drive. Clutch quit working and had to limp home in 2nd gear. Seemed to be working last night - was able to shift into neutral but haven't driven it.

What's the verdict? Suggestions (other than pay better attention)?

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
imported post

Drain the clutch and replace it with DOT4

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

When you soaked up as much as you could, chances are, you got air in the line. Flush and refill with Dot 4 fluid.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
When you soaked up as much as you could, chances are, you got air in the line. Flush and refill with Dot 4 fluid.
and flush again

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Dot 4 is the preferred brake fluid today. Dot 3 is what came in that bike originally, so there is no reason why it wouldn't perform properly. As others have said, you probably got some air into the system. You will need to bleed it all out and then refil with any fluid except Dot 5.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Yes,,,,,,, bleed, bleed, bleed the system for air.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
imported post

My cthe caps on my 84 read DOT4. So this wing didnt come with DOT# in it. Maybe yours was teh same. I still doubt full failure just because of different fluid.

My clutch has been giving me a hard time as well. I bled all the air but Ithink the diaphragm is so distorted that air and other contamiants are finding thier way in there.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,332 Posts
imported post

jackjohn wrote:
Dot 4 is the preferred brake fluid today. Dot 3 is what came in that bike originally, so there is no reason why it wouldn't perform properly. As others have said, you probably got some air into the system. You will need to bleed it all out and then refil with any fluid except Dot 5.

Whoa Jack. Dot 4 was original inmy 1200.

Any way, MHOLLIN, welcome to the forum.

I don't think the Dot 3 actually hurt anything. Most likely air.

Just flush and bleed the lines.

FYI;There is Dot 3/4 compatible synthetic fluid available too. I've been using it for years and had no problems. It's not so hard on your paint either.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

mhollin wrote:
I put DOT 3 brake fluid in clutch reservoir. Soaked as much up as I could and took her for a drive. Clutch quit working and had to limp home in 2nd gear. Seemed to be working last night - was able to shift into neutral but haven't driven it.

What's the verdict? Suggestions (other than pay better attention)?
Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum mhollin from Waco Tx.

DOT3 & DOT4 should mix as both are similar informula. 3 had a lower boiling point and faded under heavy use. 4 was better and designed for the high heat disc brakes generate,but both attract moisture hence the rust and gunk that comes after a period of time. DOT5 is a different formula andis not compatable with 3&4. Not recommending mixing 3 &4 but it is done alot on older systems. Reads like you may have gotten air into the system and it self bled if lever returned to near normal operation after refilling. :cool:Keno

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and welcomes. It's been almost 20 years since I've owned a bike but wanted to jump in again. Started with an 80 HD Superglide then wanted to go to California (from Omaha, NE) and wife said no way she was riding on the back of that bike so bought an 82 Interstate. Loved it. After had kiddies no more wife riding so finally gave up motorcycling. But kiddies are gone, I'm an old guy with time on my hands and need some excitement in my life. This ought to do it.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

Around here you are not an official OLD GUY until you are al least 80 and can't stradle the bike any more. From what I hear, I am a youngster at 54.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

OOOO, that makes me one of the kiddo's at 40...........:cheeky1:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Definitely a whippersnapper!:cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status