Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Owner's manual for 1500 states dot4 so no you can't use dot3.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
393 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I dont understand why honda put dot 4 in goldwings,its not like a wing is going zipping around a racetrack like a cbr does.btw,you can use dot 3 if you choose to.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,236 Posts
DOT3 is just fine. The only difference is DOT4 has a higher boiling point so if you ride your brakes going down a long mountain pass or racing as mentioned they might fade. I hardly see any plain DOT3 anymore, it's usually DOT3&4.

Reactions: SIDECAR RICH

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,447 Posts
I just use Valvoline synthetic, Dot 3&4.
It will still ruin your paint, so it must be good. :eek:

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Is Dot3 ok to use instead of Dot4 in my 1988 Goldwing?
For a comprehensive answer on compatibilities of DOT 3 and DOT 4, do a search of:
DOT 3 vs. DOT 4 Brake Fluid Differences (Can You Mix Them?)

Reactions: julimike54

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just stick with DOT4. You can find it at Wal Mart even.

Reactions: briese

·
Registered
100 Posts
use DOT 4 LV it has a higher wet boiling point than DOT4 and provides a more consitant lever feel in a wider ambient temp range. All I use in my Valkyrie. the higher wet point also allows replacement to be extended by 1-2 yrs from what the manual calls for. I use Pentosin Super DOT 4 LV which comes in a metal can which reduces the amount of moisture it could collect will siting on the shelf.

·
Administrator
28,236 Posts
The why is some of it labeled synthetic and some of it is not?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
The why is some of it labeled synthetic and some of it is not?
All DOT 3, 4 & 5.1 are synthetic. DOT 5 is silicone. Brake fluids back as-far-as I can remember, other than DOT 5, are all synthetic. I have noticed that some bottles/brands of brake fluid mention in large letters, "SYNTHETIC" as though this is something new or better. It is not. It's strictly marketing.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,447 Posts
Seems like the ones that are "DOT" specific don't say "Synthetic"...
"Synthetics" include DOTs 3 & 4.
Now, I'm just quoting what I read on the bottles.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Seems like the ones that are "DOT" specific don't say "Synthetic"...
"Synthetics" include DOTs 3 & 4.
Now, I'm just quoting what I read on the bottles.
I don't follow what you are saying.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DOT3 is just fine. The only difference is DOT4 has a higher boiling point so if you ride your brakes going down a long mountain pass or racing as mentioned they might fade. I hardly see any plain DOT3 anymore, it's usually DOT3&4.
A note of caution is not to use synthetic or silicon based brake/clutch fluids where the manufacturer did not specify do to the internal rubber components are not compatible.

·
Administrator
28,236 Posts
A note of caution is not to use synthetic or silicon based brake/clutch fluids where the manufacturer did not specify do to the internal rubber components are not compatible.
In other words don't use DOT 5 in a DOT 3 or 4 system unless you flush it completely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been told that the DOT5 fluid can affect the seals in systems designed for DOT3/4 regardless of flushing.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts