Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After rebuilding all three brakes on my '83 Interstate, I took it for a ride and the rear brake locked up. Stopped at a McDonalds for a burger. When I started up again, the brake seemed ok. When I moved it out of harms way for Hurricane Irene, the rear seemed to be binding again.

Any ideas out there?

Tanx

David

:praying:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

When you did the brake rebuild did you replace any of the brake lines? Rear line may be collapsing inside,holding pressure on the brake.While you ate your burger it may have bled off enough to let the brake loose.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Both master cylinders have tiny return holes that are generally referred to as "spooge" holes. They are about .015" in diameter. If you do a search around here for "spooge" you'll come up with a rear master cut-away view that shows the hole location. You can clean it with a piece of wire but it isn't easy to see.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

ya I would say its the hole in the master... Did mine and have not had a prob since.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

That is a good possibility. Something is causing the pressure in the line to not release. Does the 1100 have "regular" brakes? If it has "linked" brakes, things get a whole lot more complicated. I will be rebuilding all the brakes on my 1200, and converting to regular brakes. I have already been over everything with a motorcycle mechanic on how to do it when I bought the parts.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I had the rear brake pedal itself almost seize up from rust and road debris. I've seen others with the same problem, so it's worth a check. Fixing required a hammer- a big one :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.