Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Heres the prob:, Replaced brake/cruise control switch(located under front brake lever) Now, When I hit rear brakes, all light up fine. If I hit front brakes, it dims the brake lights!! Is there a relay or other switch to look for?? I am trying to read the electrical schematic but it must be written in Russian as I can not decipher it.

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a bad earth/ground. Either that or you got some of th wires mixed up (is this the 4 terminal switch?).

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Website on the net, JoeD!:waving::waving:

What model Goldwing do you have?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the warm welcome. My bike is an 87 Aspencade, black, mostly stock except for extra drving lights and automotive alternator instead of pesky stator! Will have to look at switch to see how many wires as the ol brain does not always remember these fine details!

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Yes, welcome to the forum JoeD. Lots of people here dedicated to helping one another out, thanks to the witty Irishman (wingnut Steve) for bringing us all together. If the lights didn't dim before you fitted the switch I'd say the switch terminal wires are on wrong. You have to get it right with those switches, two of those wires are for the cruise and the other two for the brake lights. You might have just gottwo on wrong.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

The 4 wires on the front brake switch have different size spade connectors. They can only be hooked up correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

pisspodpete wrote:
The 4 wires on the front brake switch have different size spade connectors. They can only be hooked up correctly.
If I remember right, there are two different sizes of connector, so that makes it a tad easier to get them right.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey JoeD :waving: Welcome to the forum. :clapper:I hope you get as much enjoyment and help here as you could wish for. :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Hello JoeD and welcome to the forum. The boys are pointing you in the correct direction. A short in one of the bulbs or the wiring near the lights is very likely.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Seems like there should be a relay somewhere that might be the problem, Yet, I can not find one. Any ideas where to look on the 87 Aspy? The service manual indicates there is one, but ain't nothing where it says its supposed to be !! And, yes, I I have double checked the connectors at the switch, : there are 2 fat ones and 2 skinny ones, and it makes no difference if you switch the skinny ones around ( or the fat ones either)

Am I the only one :Xwho has ever had this problem??:shock:

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
imported post

Joe..The Brake light Relay is just forward of the Radiator overflow tank....You'll need to remove the faux tank to access it.

Here is how to test it.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Dear Mr 1200 :waving:, kindly email me the info on the test, as I could not open it :shock:. You have the email address, and thanks also for all the help with the brakes!. They are working great!! Shoulda asked you first !!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

:(Still no luck. I know the switch is bad :shock:as conductivity test shows it bad. Yet, New switch( also tested for conductivity, and is OK) kills the brake lights when it and rear brake is applied. I think there must be relay but have not been able to locate it. Looks like there are 2 relays just forward of the overflow and I have not clue which is which.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.