Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First thing is that all four brake light bulbs are good. The two 1157 bulbs in the trunk are working as both tail lights and brake lights, but the two 1157 bulbs at the bottom rear of the saddlebags work as tail lights only and do not come on when brake is depressed.

Removal of either bulb activates the tail light indicator light on the dash.

I have recently removed an Amerite modulator from the circuit which pulsated the trunk brake lights only. Since the bottom brake lights have never worked since I bought the bike, I don't know if the bottom lights ever did pulsate when they were working or if the modulator pulsed the trunk lights only. Removal of the modulator has had no effect on the bottom set of lights, but it has stopped the pulsating of the trunk lights when brake is applied.

Since the trunk lights are working correctly, and are part of the same circuit, I am assuming that that brakelight/tailight sensor is functioning properly and the problem is between the sensor and the non-working brake lights but am having no luck finding it.

Any suggestions as to where else to look?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Hello Ted,

Trunk lights wire direct off the front and rear brake light switches which are fed from fuse #1. Aditionally this same power feeds the the activating coil of the brake light relay which allows power from fuse #10 to flow though the brakelight and taillight sensor and thus operate the remaining brake lights.

Start by swapping the brake light relay and air pump relay in the fuse block and see what happens...

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

:claps: Your the man Sam! All four brake lights are working!

THANK YOU!

Now I'll attack the headlight!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

scooby1956 wrote:
:claps: Your the man Sam! All four brake lights are working!

THANK YOU!

Now I'll attack the headlight!
Awesome! Nice to find an easy one. The simple act of unplugging and re-plugging the relay may have solved it but if the relay that was in the original brake position is actuallybad don't forget to change it out so the air suspension works.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I put the relays back into their respective positions, after cleaning them up. You're right about finding an easy one. It's about time!

The relays are both working so the original brake light relay just wasn't making good contact apparently. Will still buy a backup to be sure.

Taking headlight apart now and will take and post some photos of what I find in there. Hoping that the "easy one" scenario continues!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.