Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good evening. Im so frustrated. My right rear brake light is not working. The running light works ok. But it's a little dim. When I hit the brakes, only the left brake light gets bright. The right light sometimes flutters ever so slightly. But otherwise.. nothing. I checked and switched the bulbs. I was told to possibly check and spray the switches. The only problem is I don't what to look for. And second there is suppose to be a brake light switch down near the foot brake. Can someone tell me where it is and how to clean the contact. Also are there any other options? Please help me. Que.

·
Administrator
26,561 Posts
imported post

Check your bulb sockets for corrosion. What you have is a bad ground, not the switch if one of them is working and also the dim tail light is a clue to bad ground.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you. I will pull them in the morning. Any tips on cleaning them if I find corrosion? Will contact cleaner work? Also if it's a ground and I'm inclined to think along those lines also, how would you check for the ground issue. I'm a little green. But I'm willing to give it a shot for sure.

Que

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

I always use a small folded piece of wet or dry sandpaper with a bit of WD 40 to clean a corroded socket. Just put it in and twist it, it will clean the grounding surface (the outside of the bulb holder as well as the "hot" surface in the bottom center of the fixture. As mentioned above, if one works, the problem is highly likely to be the ground.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I cleaned the interior socket and that didn't seem to do the trick. It did need cleaning. I'm thinking I should clean it some more. But if that doesn't work, any thing else?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Ok. I checked and cleaned the ground thoroughly just now. The battery terminal cleaner works perfectly. I didn't get any results tho. Still dims when I apply the brake. Is there any place else I can clean or check for ground issues?

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. Go to the Reference/Frequently Asked Questions section and down-load a manual for your model wing. Next I'd start tracing the ground and or feed connection for thelamp on that side of the bike. Honda just loves to put little plug connections everywhere under the plastic on thier big road-bikes... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Check the wires inside of the plugs also. The connectors inside the plugs have a small barb on them to hold them in the plug and sometimes the barb is not bent enough to hold the wire in tight and it comes loose preventing a good connection, I speak from experience. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.