Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Honda Aspencade, 112,000 + miles
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1993 1500 Aspencade, where in the wiring harness does the accessory spoiler wing pick up the voltage. I see wires disappearing behind the trunk area but don't want to pull off more that I have to. The brake lights work on the bike and I guess the LEDS in the spoiler should also work with the brake lights. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

It's a 2-pin black connector under the saddle on the left, inside the rubber boot. This wire also has a 2-pin connector at the other end andgoes up through the trunk lid, wher the short wire from the spoiler plugs into. I forget if the spoiler comes with the two leads, but you will know yourself already.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

OK, now I know where to look but I forgot to ask the second part of the question. This bike has pulsating brake lights, don't know if that is standard or not, Do you think the pulses will also be in the spoiler provided the LEDS string is good? And yes, the spoiler is a 2 wire system.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Eagledriver wrote:
OK, now I know where to look but I forgot to ask the second part of the question. This bike has pulsating brake lights, don't know if that is standard or not, Do you think the pulses will also be in the spoiler provided the LEDS string is good? And yes, the spoiler is a 2 wire system.
I don't think so. The spoiler light has it's own voltage box, where the spoiler light runs at 6 volts and when you hit the brakes it then gets 12 volts and light brighter. A brake light flasher won'tbe looped into the voltage box for the spoiler.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Those brake modulators have to be spliced into the actual brake light wiring, because the trunk spoiler voltage supply is seperate, a brake modulator won't make the trunk spoiler flash unless you splice it to the spoiler wires.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

GWEddie wrote:
Those brake modulators have to be spliced into the actual brake light wiring, because the trunk spoiler voltage supply is seperate, a brake modulator won't make the trunk spoiler flash unless you splice it to the spoiler wires.
That is correct. I did this with mine, but ended up getting rid opf the modulator altogether as it seems to bother other road users.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

OK, I am still looking for the connection of the wiring from the spoiler. It appears to go toward the rear of the bike and I cannot see where it ends. I have found the rubber boot as described but can make no connection there. All the other lights work fine. I found the paperwork that came with the bike and the unit is made by California Sidecar Inc. The directions say to to splice on to the wires at the red plug, no such splice that I can find on that . The wiring looks like it goes down behind the left saddlebag. Maybe the installer hooked this one up other than by the directions.

The air horns are under the left saddlebag and the air supply is in the left saddlebag, trying to avoid pulling that off. If I understand correctly the unit operates on 6 and 12 volts. If I would use a couple of safety pins to pierce the wires in the trunk lid and hook them up to 12 volts that should tell me if the unit works at all. Do you agree or am I missing a ground somewhere.

If the unit does not work with an outside power source then I will forget it. The spoiler is painted to match the bike and it will just have to stay. If its bad I can do a search online and see if the light bar itself is available from California Sidecar Inc.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

The Aspencade doesn't have the connector plug for the spoiler light as far as I know, or the trunk light controller. It's about the only item from the SE that you can't just plug into the Asp. The other guys heremust have missed the fact that yours is an Aspencade.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well here is where I am now. I have tapped the wires in the trunk lid and this is what happened. One gray wire goes to the lighted Gold Wing Medallion and it will light but it worked OK before. Two wires are molded together, a black wire and a smaller black wire with a white stripe. By tapping those two wires and using jumpers to a 12 volt supply the LED bar will light once and go out immediately. If I touch the wire to the post of the supply it will flash again and go out, pretty bright like the brake light as some stated on 12 volts.

These tests have been conducted with the ignition off and I think I will quit for now until I get some more feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.