Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any easy ways to do it? I`m feeling mechanical and figure might as well get it done now while its in my garage and begging for more work.

Do the brakes change/bleed the same a s car brakes? Should I use compressed air to bllow the lines clean? Dot 4 fluid,correct?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Get one of those cheap bleed tubes. Just take your time, open one bleed nipple at a time and pump the lever/pedal while making sure the reservoir is full of fresh fluid. When fresh fluid comes out of the nipple, lock it up and start on the next one.

Dot 4 is fine, but I wouldn't use air lin the lines in case I damaged or flipped a seal.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Some of the calipers are linked to each other, so take that in mind. Without knowing which bike you have, can't tell you which ones. Just be careful and try not to bleed the master cylinder(s) dry, some mechanics have a hard time priming them again. I never seem to though....

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

zonk3939 wrote:
Any easy ways to do it? I`m feeling mechanical and figure might as well get it done now while its in my garage and begging for more work.

Do the brakes change/bleed the same a s car brakes? Should I use compressed air to bllow the lines clean? Dot 4 fluid,correct?
Zonk, it's pretty straight forward, just bleed it out like a car.

A few things to consider-

Remove most of the old fluid from the master cylinders first so you don't have it mix with the new fluid as you bleed it out.

DO NOT let the master cylinder run dry during the bleed process or you will make the job MUCH harder than it needs to be.

DO NOT get any brake fluid on the bikes paint as that will easily damage the paint.

You probably shouldn't use compressed air as that means you will have to start with a dry cylinder, you also take a big chance in blowing the fluid onto the bike's paint. It shouldn't damage anything thoughas the air pressure you use is much lower than brake operating pressures during a hard stop.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Vacuum bleeders work very well as well, like others have said, don't let the M/C run dry, newerGold Wings have linked braking and some high points in the lines. Very easy to get air trapped at the high points.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you want to make the job and future bleeds easy, install speed bleeders, cheap and make the job go faster.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

exavid wrote:
If you want to make the job and future bleeds easy, install speed bleeders, cheap and make the job go faster.
Available at Autozone?

So I guess I just basically bleed the brakes as I would on my car until I get new,clean fluid,correct?

Thanks again for the help,guys..you all deserve $1000 for your help..but I`m broke so thanks will have to do.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.