Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 SE
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How old shouldbrake lines be allowed to age (rubber portions) before one should replace them for safety's sake (not accounting for any abbrasion, cuts or any damage caused by mechanical means)? Is there a safe working lifeon the rubber?

:)

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

I haven't ever heard of a life span otherthan if the brakes work well then keep usingthem.
If the brakes are getting spongy and there is no apparent issues like thin rotors, eccessively rusted brak pads, or other obvious issues then the brake lines can be suspect..

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

I agree with Mr. Fix it. Unless they leak, and you would then feel the soft pedal so to speak, and of course they will detereate with age. I've had my bike since new, and still my lines are good. Now if the bike is kept out side most of the time, I would think that would help the lines age faster. :)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

If the hoses are 25 years old then I would get them changed. in my line of work high pressure hoses are changed every two years. Brake lines are not under constant high pressure but the inner and outer hose still degrade with time. only you can tell if they need changing but,the last thing you want is one to fail at a crucial moment

I fitted stainless braided hoses 2 years ago. the differance in stopping distance is very noticeable

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
If the hoses are 25 years old then I would get them changed. in my line of work high pressure hoses are changed every two years. Brake lines are not under constant high pressure but the inner and outer hose still degrade with time. only you can tell if they need changing but,the last thing you want is one to fail at a crucial moment

I fitted stainless braided hoses 2 years ago. the differance in stopping distance is very noticeable
My ford bronco had that Happen.

I really stepped on the brake one day and felt a pop and my pedal went to the floor.

Its not something you really pay attention to on vehicles but the line was rusted enough to allow the brake pressure to blow through the metal

I hea many guys have great sucess with metal brake lines but I believe that it may be no different than just new rubber lines.

it may be a coincidence that the breakes feel all the better but the old lines are deteriorated.

It is on lmy list oif things to do not high priority because the braking system feels fine, but an upgfrade always makes me feel happy

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I agree with Johno, after a few years even if you don't notice it those cheap OEM hoses are breaking down and limiting your brake performance. Just think of all the work those hoses do. Expanding, contracting, heating up and flexing the layers of hose each time you brake besides being exposed to road contaminations and UV. SS hose kits are like $100 so what's the big deal. If you're really tight just go to NAPA or another auto parts store and get some car hoses.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:

My ford bronco had that Happen.

I really stepped on the brake one day and felt a pop and my pedal went to the floor.

Its not something you really pay attention to on vehicles but the line was rusted enough to allow the brake pressure to blow through the metal
I had the same thing happen to my old Explorer. Pop, and all the brake fluid went onto my driveway. A roll of coated brake line from NAPA, a brake line flaring tool from Harbor Freight, and 2 hours of my time, and it was good as new.

I'm going to replace the brake lines on my GL1100 this winter with some braided stainless, simply because they ARE old. The date printed on them is November 1981. They work fine and look fine...but 28 years is old enough for rubber hoses that my life depends on. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.