Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay... this maybe a somewhat directed question accompanied with a plea of mercy. I need help!

Don't blister me for being stupid... you guys on the tech forum often overwhelm me, with what appears to you to be common knowledge... but to us pee-on's who just wanna ride... is voo-doo magic.

The question: (context: 1996 Honda GL1500A)

I have had a brake light modulator for about two years now. I have not installed it! Why you ask? Because I am reluctant to cut into the OEM wiring harness. (That is just not my style.) I like to remotely relay ALL my accessories. (or at least make it removable.) But the brake modulator does not allow for this. I HAVE to penetrate the OEM system somewhere.

Having said such... I need to know EXACTLY where to cut into the OEM harness. I suspect there are various locations. I want the one farthest "upsteam" while at the same time being reasonable to reach.

I want ALL my brake lights to modulate.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

US385 Have you looked at the replacement led bulbs,I bought a set off e-bay they just swap out with your existing bulbs. When you hit your breaks thy start flashing,no cutting wires on your harness they are about $20.00 bucks. Hal

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

My brake modulator went right under the seat towards the back of the bike...per mfr instructions. Don't be scared.....

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

PM sent.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Dancinbear wrote:
My brake modulator went right under the seat towards the back of the bike...per mfr instructions. Don't be scared.....
Yep right under the seat on the back fender. Follow the instructions and you should not have a problem. Use a test light to find the correct wires. Like this one.......

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-12-volt-circuit-tester-4288.html

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

DO NOT....I REPEAT....DO NOT SPLICE INTO YOUR WIRING!!

Nothing ever good comes out of splicing. Instead, invest in the correct tools/parts for the job. You will never regret it. Go to http://www.vintageconnections.com/ and get the Professional Kit CK-5. Make a harness for the modulator that will connect to the bikes OEM plugs. If you need a schematic to make one...let me know and I will draw one up for you.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

alright... thanks for all the advice. Good stuff just from the folks I needed to hear from...

Snorebabe... I am with ya man... I hate cutting into the harness.

dancinbear... I will try to be brave. I have GOT to do it... i have lingered too long.

T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.