1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys, and gals.

I would like to ad a brake modulator. Anyone have any suggestions? I read about the one on Wingstuff, the reviews said the directions were terrible. Also whats the difference in Wig Wag and Back Off XP ?Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

Definitely cheaper than the "Back Off" module that I bought.

The only real difference is, the Back Off unit uses a variable rate flashing sequence. 3 rapid flashes immediately upon brake light activation. Then it flashes about 3 or 4 more times at a slower rate and then it stays on.

Whatever turns your crank. both will get the job done.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

My wife's Harley has a Back Off XP. It flashes her brake light 5 times and then stays steady on until she lets off the brake. I wired it to function that way. An alternate flash pattern is to flash 3 times then steady for 3 or 4 seconds then repeats for as long as the brakes are on. I ordered the Wig Wag version for my wing direct from the manufacturer. I ordered from the used and refurbished section and got a Wig Wag for $25 + shipping. Here is the link:

Used and Refurbished

Here is the link which shows the Wig Wag in action:

Wig Wag

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i have the rear alert fitted, not sure whether is legal or not here, ive put the bike through two annual inspections and had the cops at the back of me and nobody has said anything to, it flashes 5 or six times and stays on steady holding the brake, if you cut the green wire it will only flash three times and stay on, simple to intall, mine only flashes the trunk brake lights

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
Hey guys, and gals.

I would like to ad a brake modulator. Anyone have any suggestions? I read about the one on Wingstuff, the reviews said the directions were terrible. Also whats the difference in Wig Wag and Back Off XP ?Thanks for the help.
When I first read this, I thought, gee, he's adding ABS to his 1500. Then find it is about a brake light modulator. Oh well.:cheeky1:

Hey DrifterTex--I like your bike and shot angle.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
A cheaper alternative.

http://tiny.pl/bf9s
Thanks ,,,,,,,,, I didn't know there was anything like this at a good price. And I didn't know it was an easy install either. So it will be well worth it.

But where is the brake switch located that this is suppose to connect to??

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
mikef wrote:
A cheaper alternative.

Thanks ,,,,,,,,, I didn't know there was anything like this at a good price. And I didn't know it was an easy install either. So it will be well worth it.

But where is the brake switch located that this is suppose to connect to??
Doesn't have to be installed at the switch. Just need to make sure, when you splice it in, the red wire goes to the side leading in the direction of the brake switch and the other goes in the direction of the bulbs. Most I have seen, tie it in under the seat. My 1200 was taped to the back of the rear brake light and spliced in there.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I just ordered it off ebay, paid 18.80 delivered. I always wanted that, and I thought I was done buying things for my trike

Thanks Mike:waving:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I had a Wig Wag on one of my 1200's and liked the added "exposure" it gave me. I have also ordered one of these for my 1500.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
A cheaper alternative.

While the price is certainly appealing(and the seller has 100% positive feedback), I seem to remember other members having problems with them having a short life, although it could be another brand(?)

Wonder if they just work on just one set of brake lights, such asthe trunk lights, or all brake lights together?(trunk/saddlebags)

Would appreciate itif one of you who purchases one, report back with results after you install one.

Cheers, Dusty

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Would it be better to flash "ALL" brake lights? or just the top? or just the bottom? Any ideas ?

Ithink Iwould probably like all of them to flash.

Thanks Hawker22....I really like the looks of your seats. Are they Comfy?

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Before you buy one, check the laws in your state. Unlike the headlight modulator that is federally permitted (so the states have to comply) the brake light modulator isn't legal everywhere.

Here in Virginia, they just changed the law. They are now allowed, but they can only flash for 3 seconds, and then they have to go on steady.

In my experience, while they were illegal, I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket, but I have heard of several people getting rejected at their safety inspection.

That being said, I had a homemade one on my 1200 for 5 years. I made a wig-wag type using a turn signal flasher and a relay. It would wig-wag the two center lights on the trunk for as long as the brake lights were on.

My opinion, and only my opinion is it is better to have the flashing lights up high where they will more likely be seen first.

Also my opinion, the wig-wag type is better. I think that the kind that flashes could be confused in traffic as someone pumping their brakes. If you stop really hard, but your brake lights go on, then off, then on again, then off again,then on again, it could look like you aren't stopping agressively and be mis-leading. So my preference has always been a wig-wag. (but still not legal in Virginia :cool:)

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
mikef wrote:
A cheaper alternative.

While the price is certainly appealing(and the seller has 100% positive feedback), I seem to remember other members having problems with them having a short life, although it could be another brand(?)

Wonder if they just work on just one set of brake lights, such asthe trunk lights, or all brake lights together?(trunk/saddlebags)

Would appreciate itif one of you who purchases one, report back with results after you install one.

Cheers, Dusty
I have run this unit two seasons - maybe 8000 Km - I know I don't get to ride enough!!

So far, still working!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.