Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

So I received a brake modulator from a friend (said I need it sense I was rear ended):p. But I agree. It has three wires. Red, White, and Black. I assume Icut the green/yellow for brake lights and red would be coming from the brakelight switch and White going to the brake lights. But I'm not sure about the black one. I know it is a ground, but should it go to the opposite wire from the brake lights or can it go to a chassis ground and serve the same purpose.:?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I would think that grounding to the chassis would be the best way to complete the circuit. By the way are you almost on the road Spiderbob?

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

It is running, and I did take it up the hill and back for a check out ride. But I still need some miscellaneous items, like windshield, lower cowl, rotor covers, electrical loom with new relays, etc. which are all coming by the end of next week. Then I just have to ride it a while before I remove the rear body and start that, so, yes it's getting to where I can ride it really soon now. :clapper:

Are you sure about using a chassis ground, I was told by someone else that it had to be the same wire that grounds the brake light bulbs (which doesn't really make sense to me).

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

It should be fine (and better) on the chassis. I wired my 5 to 4 wire adapter ground to the chasis and not to brake light grounds and my trailer lights work just fine. I just always was taught that the chassis makes a better ground. Although this could have a special application and I could be mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time. Just ground it to a frame bolt to try it out before buttoning it up.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

What brand/model of brake light modulator? We should be able to get instructions from the Mfg.

John

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,612 Posts
imported post

Bob, if not a good solid chassis ground, I would run a ground back to the battery negative grounding point on the chassis.

I am also a solid believer that you can never get too good of a ground connection. Chassis grounds are subject to the whims of bonding points here and there on the frame.

Central ground points are the only way to go for reliability long term.

that also kills the hum/clicking in the radio and iPod players, etc... when things turn on and off.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Don't know what kind of modulator it is, nicely sealed in a tight package, excellent wires coming out, three of them, so it is not old at all. It was given to me as a gift from a co-worker, and he has been furlowed for 7 weeks yet so won't see him for a while.

I'm going for the ground lug that is just under the seat which has a tab off the frame, this tap also has a wire that goes to the ground lug on the battery, can't get much better that that that.

I was just worried a bit about the 'you have to ground it with the other bulb wire thing'

He said it made noise too, but I know for a fact he was trying to get me on that one.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Found the name, I put a piece of Velcro over it and of course when I peeled it off there it was. It's a Rear-Alert, funny thing about it is, there's a green wire that comes out of it and loops back into it??

Wish I had the whole package. I had a feeling it was probably his but he didn't want to put it in himself. Ah, who knows. Point it he was nice nought to give it to me and I want it to work before I go back to work myself.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

OK, found it on the internet - but does this mean it will only work on one light???

Automatically Alerts Motorists Behind YouThat You AreBrakingTo Slow Down OrStop

Rear-Alert™ helps you get the attention of those inattentive motorists following behind you by automatically flashing your center brake light when slowing or stopping. Rear-Alert™ was designed to help you avoid being rear-ended.It may be the most important safety device you ever add to your ride. Remember every split second of reaction time lost reduces your safety margin. This system may even save your life!!!

How it works: Rear-Alert™ automatically converts your normal steady burning brake light into an attention getting pre-programmed flashing brake light to increase your visibility when braking.

Each time the brakes are applied, your center high mounted brake light will rapidly flash On & Off for 3-seconds (Approximately 4-6 Flashes) and then burn steady until you release the brake.

If desired, the module can be reprogrammed for an additional 3-seconds (approximately 10-12 flashes total) while the brakes are applied. Reprogramming is done by cutting the small wire loop. The programmed cycle will start over each time the brakes are reapplied. The programmed cycle terminates immediately when the brakes are released.

Module operation is totally silent. There are no relay clicking sounds. There are no reset delays needed for proper operation and it does not interfere with the turn signals or other vehicle circuits.

The small waterproof module is approximately 3/4"H x 1"W x 1 5/8"L and works with all types of brake lights including LED clusters. No load resistor is ever needed for LED lights. Heavy-Duty 10-Amp design for 12V Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Motor Homes.

Simple Hook-up. Connections are made inline between the brake switch and center brake light.
(1) Cut the brake light wire;
(2) Connect the red wire of our module to the cut wire that comes from the brake switch;
(3) Connect the white wire of our module to the cut wire that goes to the brake light;
(4) Install the supplied wire connector to the ground wire that goes to the brake light;
(5) Insert the black wire of our module into the wire connectorand crimp with pliers.

This isa quality product with performanceand features that’s second to none. Fact is you won’t finda better brake light safety module anywhere at any price! Guaranteed… It's manufactured by a certified QS-9000 factory and includes a No Risk Guarantee. If you are not 100% satisfied, simply return it for a full refund of your purchase price.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

But does it work on more than one light. The directions don't say anything about more than the center light?:?

I havesix bulbed lights on the back as brake lights, with the trike lights added.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Withit's ten amp design it should surely work more than one light.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

That's true, OK, I'm sold. In it goes.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Spiderbob, well how did it go. Did you get it to work? How does it work? If you noticed I typed this in the fastest color.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

No, it does not work yet. While taking my trunk lose to get to the rear wiring I noticed that the trunk moved while being bolted down still. Hmmmmm, more accident debris. Forward right side I can raise without undoing the bolt inside. Of course that only means one thing MY BRACKET is BROKE:X. Took the other bolts out andbroke apartall connections to remove trunk and sure enough it is broke. OK, so looks like I have a prior job to do first now. Fix the broken bracket before modulator install. I have an arc welder but this is smaller steel like .065 so I'm renting a mig (wire feed) welder tomorrow (25.00 four hours) to take care of that, I hope. Then to get back on track.

Modulator by end of week now. But while looking for the correct wire it is so tight to the loom I decided to look for an alternative spot to attach it. Possibly before my lower tail lights. I have excess wire there and more room.

I'll let you know intwo or threedays:)

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i have the rear alert on both of mine, and they work great and easy to fit, good luck on fitting it bob

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,612 Posts
imported post

Dang, Bob...

You just keep finding little stuff that stupid cell phone jerk left you with.

That estimate you got from the m/c shop, would have climbed a bit higher by the time they got through with all the needed repairs.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Sorry to here about more problems Spiderbob, but I guess it is better finding it now then when going down the road. Keep us updated.

·
Canada Bob
461 Posts
imported post

I put a BACKOFF Wig Wag brake light modulator, these are made by SDC, and it works great. paid $39.00 for it and easy to install.

I have had people tell me that my brake light is broken because it flashes quickly and then stays on. So at least its getting their attention.

Check them out, numerous options depending on you brake light configuration.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Here’s how it works: Each time the brakes are applied, your center high mounted brake light will rapidly flash On & Off for 3-seconds (5-6 flashes) and then burn steady until you release the brake.

If desired, the module can be reprogrammed for an additional 3-seconds of flashing. (approx 10-12 Flashes total) Reprogramming is done by cutting the small green wire loop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.