Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story..
I had been thinking it was time for timing belts on my 2000 wing 1500SE with 84k on it then I started to hear a noise and figured it was a tensioner bearing. After doing my research on Goldwing Facts I decided to go for it. When changing the belts I inspected the tensioners and they appeared to be good and I was thinking I had the belt tension right and timing marks looked to be in the right position.
The bike fired up right off but the rpm fluctuated slightly at an idle and when reved to 3000+ it shook like a Harley so I figured I screwed up and had not checked the timing marks correctly.
I have been searching for a good Goldwing mechanic and found a fellow in Edmonton who claimed to be an expert so I loaded up the bike and hauled it 180km to his place.. this story started July 2
He advised me that the timing was off and It needed new tensioners. A month later I get on it to ride it home to be advised the Yuasa agm battery I installed last year was toast and he had to boost it for me... I’m now a little upset. I get five minutes away and hit the brakes at a red light and some god awful loud sound comes from the front end WOOF WOOF WOOF...and when reved up the timing belts sound like they are bouncing. It didn’t matter if I hit the front or rear brake the sound happened.
So back I go and drop tell him to take it for a ride. Ended up going home without the bike and asking him to figure it out and put a new battery in it. I get a call telling me the noise is some relay or module that was making the noise due to low voltage from the battery and he would order a new battery. He said he was heading my way in a couple days and would haul it back for me, 10 days later I had my buddy drive me back again... I get the bike and take off, get to the same stop light hit the brakes and the same sound again but not as loud. Now I’m real cranky and just keep heading home. Every time I hit the brakes the same noise till I pull into Red Deer and the brake noise is gone but the noise from the timing belt area was still there when reved up. When I call him I told him about the brake noise again but it had stopped and he advised that the noise from the timing belt area was normal and not to worry as nothing would fly apart.
A week later I take my grand daughter for an afternoon ride..to find the brake noise was back but it is intermittent. Today about two weeks later the same thing.
Two months of riding season gone and fall is on the way.
I am fairly mechanically inclined but struggling. Would anyone have any ideas on these two issues?
Thanks

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
If you want something done right you have to do it yourself, somebody once said. Might have been rust on the rotors causing the brake noise & you could remove the timing covers and check the belt tension.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want something done right you have to do it yourself, somebody once said. Might have been rust on the rotors causing the brake noise & you could remove the timing covers and check the belt tension.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks
Yes my plan was to pull the chrome brake covers tomorrow and check the brakes and rotors
The timing belts are another issue. I’m hoping the covers can be pulled without having to drop the rad hoses as I did last time. The other issue for me is accurately checking the tension on the belts as my first go around with the scale and makeshift coat hanger timing belt hook was difficult without a bike lift

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
Thanks
Yes my plan was to pull the chrome brake covers tomorrow and check the brakes and rotors
The timing belts are another issue. I’m hoping the covers can be pulled without having to drop the rad hoses as I did last time. The other issue for me is accurately checking the tension on the belts as my first go around with the scale and makeshift coat hanger timing belt hook was difficult without a bike lift
Turn the engine until the straight side of the belt opposite the tensioner is taunt then loosen and retighten the tensioner bolts, that's it.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Thanks
It is not necessary to remove the radiator hoses to remove the timing belt covers.

At 84k the tensioner bearings should still be good. They normally last a long time/miles.

Be careful regarding the "Oil Pressure" signal wire.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It can be a bit tricky getting the big timing belt cover off, but it will go. There should be springs on the tensioner that will give the correct tension to the tensioner when the bolts are loosened.
When you are in the front brakes, check pad thickness and look for a stone gouging the rotor. might as well confirm slider function while you are in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts