Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Partzilla say that left rotor pads are different from right ones.
Bandit doesnt say anything.
Whats the story? Do we have 3 different parts number for 3 rotors? that would be stupid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsPNU6iV5Vs
The pads come with a shim on one pad. That is what makes the left and right different. The shim has to go on the piston side of the caliper. I think you could interchage them but the shim would be on the wrong side on one of the calipers. The shim is stainless and it protect (insulates) the fluid from the heat of the brake pad. :)

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
Never did rear brakes yet but judging by the pictures in the parts manual the rears are different shaped. :)
No, they are just thicker. Aftermarket pads fit all 3 positions.

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
Purchased OEM from Partzilla for about $142 for all 3 sets and shipping.
I looked into sintered and decided not to get them.I think they're a bit abrasive on the rotor
You should have ordered a little something else, I believe you get free shipping with $150 order.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brake and clutch bleeding.

I used to own Fred H CDs on bike maintenance.They got lost somewhere in NJ
Anybody knows the bleeding order for foot brake ?, The hand brake only works one of the front caliper (left?)
How I do the clutch?
I have done all this a few years back but me forgot.
Where do I find info in here?

It would be nice if we had stickies at the top of technical forum
How to ......anything

Meant to open new thread but I screwed up

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Peter,

If you can't get an electronic copy of what you need let me know and I'll copy and send the procedure to you.

I just saw the other post. Seems you have what you need....now get out there and get busy.>:)

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Here you go!:ROFL:

Attachments

·
1,599 Posts
Purchased OEM from Partzilla for about $142 for all 3 sets and shipping.
I looked into sintered and decided not to get them.I think they're a bit abrasive on the rotor
The OEM pads are sintered:surprise: , - but they are for sure the best pads for your bike !

·
1,599 Posts
I used to own Fred H CDs on bike maintenance.They got lost somewhere in NJ
Anybody knows the bleeding order for foot brake ?, The hand brake only works one of the front caliper (left?)
How I do the clutch?
I have done all this a few years back but me forgot.
Where do I find info in here?

It would be nice if we had stickies at the top of technical forum
How to ......anything

Meant to open new thread but I screwed up
In your other tread we talked about linked brakes (about an week ago:laugh:) - remember ?
When you are riding the handbrake operates all 3 calipers , but HYDRALICALLY is is connected to BOTH front calipers .

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for great info. Now I have all I need to proceed.

Smeden, from pic 4 posted by RW it looks like the front lever operates both front calipers while the foot lever operates all the brakes.
I see its fairly complicated. What is the purpose of the secondary master cylinder
The diagram is a bit confusing (4) withe the line from the bottom of the delay valve intercepting the horizontal line. I dont think they are connected, it would make no sense. Can anyone narrate a description what happens when you press hand lever and then foot pedal? Approximately how long is the delay valve set for and what is the proportional pressure on the valve. (ie 1/4 ,1/3, 1/2)?

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
Thank you all for great info. Now I have all I need to proceed.

Smeden, from pic 4 posted by RW it looks like the front lever operates both front calipers while the foot lever operates all the brakes.
I see its fairly complicated. What is the purpose of the secondary master cylinder
The diagram is a bit confusing (4) withe the line from the bottom of the delay valve intercepting the horizontal line. I dont think they are connected, it would make no sense. Can anyone narrate a description what happens when you press hand lever and then foot pedal? Approximately how long is the delay valve set for and what is the proportional pressure on the valve. (ie 1/4 ,1/3, 1/2)?
I'll take a shot at it. When you pull the hand lever it operates 2 pistons on the left caliper & 1 on the right, it also causes the secondary master cylinder to send fluid to 2 pistons on the rear caliper. The foot pedal operates 1 piston on the left front, 2 on the right front and 1 on the rear, as it operates the left front it also operates the secondary master cylinder which operates the other 2 on the rear. No idea on the question about the delay valve, I don't think it actually delays anything. Or the proportioning valve, probably not published info.

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
Sophisticated. Thanks Dave. I have to remember this.
It looks like the only difference is the foot pedals actuate 3 cylinders in the back while the front actuates 2

What about the anti dive?
The front brake actuates 3 in the front and indirectly 2 in the rear, the rear actuates 3 in the front and all 3 in the rear, 2 indirectly. Both actuate the antidive, the front indirectly.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
The way I understand it is if you use enough brake anywhere the bike will want to dive in the front of course. The left front caliper will try to rotate and stroke the secondary master cylinder. The secondary master cylinder will send oil to thhe rear brakes to pull the rear of the bike down. At the same time the secondary master will also send pressure to the anti-dive valve causing the piton to block the port in the shock stopping shock travel. (dive in the front).Here is some more pictures. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
This wording makes me think the delay valve holds off the right brake unless there is a panic stop and you are really standing on the pedal???? Most of the time it uses one caliper like the other Goldwings. Just an extra layer of safety???.

Also guess the purpose of the proportional control valve is so the secondary master can not lock the rear tire when the front dives and the rear gets light?????

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts