Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay, here we go again. I have 11,880 miles on this set of factory brake pads. What's the average miles I shoudl expect to get out of a set of front and read pads for these disc brakes. Is the norm to change pad every time I put a new set of tires on or should I be getting about 30,000 miles out of a set of front and rear pads.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

nvrpc wrote:
Okay, here we go again. I have 11,880 miles on this set of factory brake pads. What's the average miles I shoudl expect to get out of a set of front and read pads for these disc brakes. Is the norm to change pad every time I put a new set of tires on or should I be getting about 30,000 miles out of a set of front and rear pads.
I've never seen let alone ridden an 1800 but I can say it depends on how you ride. Only riding the slab they'll probably out last you. Aggressive riding on the other hand they might not last as long as a set of tyres.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

I had mine replaced at about 35,000 miles. Bought the bike used with 23,000 on it, and I think these were the original pads.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I get about 24k out of them. Probably ride a bit harder than others. Check the left front brake pads from time to time. It's linked to the rear and wears faster than the right front. It will let you know when it's time.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Do the disc pad on the GL-1800 have metal tabs like automobile pad do so then the pad get very thin the metal tab touches the disc and makes a heck of a noise. I did look under there last night and you're correct one set of pads on the front is thinner tha the other side. They look as if the are about half gone at 11,800 miles. The tires got maybe a few thousands miles let. The center wear indicator down the center of the stock goldwing front tire measures ~.050" the best I can read with vernier calipers. Cam I safely take this wear bar down until it almst gone without and issue. Once that wear bar is gone how much long can one go before it's really unsafe?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I changed mine at 35,000 miles and still some left.

Brakes are not that expensive and easy to change.

Why all the worry and fret? Just change the darn pads!

My wife could wear out a set of brake pads in 11,000 miles:shock:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Wow what timing. So glad GregForesi mentioned the differences from one side to the other. I've been watching the right side because there was more light on that side in my garage. Just checked the right side and they are almost nonexistent. Can't believe they aren't making noise.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

No metal tabs to indicate that you've used them up. There is a groove cut in them that serves as a wear indicator. When the groove dissappears, they are done. Replaced mine at 22,600 miles on the bad advise of the mechanic I was trusting to help solve a warranteeable problem. As he indicated they were "paper thin" which apparently now means worn 1/3 of the way to the wear marks, I had no choice but to follow his advise if I hoped to have the true trouble corrected through further action. $175 for the pads only is NOT cheap. In the end it turned out to be a very expensive way to learn that "green" brake parts cleaner is **** ! Left a residue that caused my brakes to shudder ONLY when the rear brake was applied with MODERATE pressure and NO front brake was applied. I am now the proud owner of a half used, contamintae set of pads that I will never put back on the bike.

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

I'd check for remaining pad wear at 20k miles just to be safe. Keep in mind that the last 1/2 of the brake pads wear out faster than the first 1/2. Heat builds up higher during the last 1/2 of the pads life and they wear out faster because of it.

Like Mich Wing said… there's no metal tabs to indicate worn pads. I use a small extending mirror and a flash light to check the pads for wear.

The 1800 OEM brakes are much more expensive… for some unknown reason. Maybe because Honda 'wants it that way'.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Pretty easy to check the pads with a flashlight and inspection mirror. I usually run them down to about 1/16th of an inch before changing though I'd change them sooner if I were about to take a long trip. Wingstuff lists a full set of pads for $135. One nice thing about the 1800 is that you can change the pads on all three calipers in half an hour.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Well I need to know what pads to buy because I want to get more than 11.284 miles out of the next set. Wingstuff wants to sell me three sets of these and says on a 2010 GL-1800 all three sets are the same. Any thoughts Quality EBC Brake Pads (GL1800 Fits Front or Rear EBC Pad Set #FA261HH)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,575 Posts
imported post

I don't know if I trust that all are the same statement. Honda has a different part number not only for front and rear, but also left and right. OEM @ westernhonda.com are also $135.00

·
Administrator
26,144 Posts
imported post

Vesrah pads, about $100 for a full set from Honda direct line. I have 55,000 miles on a set right now and still maybe 40%. I ride hard but don't slow down much. Look and work just like OEM. Take the backing plates off the OE pads and put them on the replacements if you use aftermarket.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

What makes the Versah pads better than EBC or OEM Honda or are Versah actually an OEM upgraded pad for this 2010 GL-1800.

·
Administrator
26,144 Posts
imported post

nvrpc wrote:
What makes the Versah pads better than EBC or OEM Honda or are Versah actually an OEM upgraded pad for this 2010 GL-1800.
I did not say they were better than OEM, they are just as good and may be the OEM supplier. I have never gotten good life out of EBC pads.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

why are the brake pads talked about for the 1800 over $100. when D2 Moto.com has the rears for $10.99 and the whole set fro $28.99?

·
Administrator
26,144 Posts
imported post

ernsetp wrote:
why are the brake pads talked about for the 1800 over $100. when D2 Moto.com has the rears for $10.99 and the whole set fro $28.99?
Could be a quality thing, you get what you pay for most of the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.