21000 miles on 2012 gw.
maint schedule says change pad at 20,000 miles
any suggestions on quality pads besides oem honda
thank you in advance
George

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
Brake pads do not wear out by miles. Wear is directly proportional to how much the brakes are uses. Anyway OEM is the best but EBC seems to work OK. I just put a set of EBC on the rear of mine. Thought I had a set of OEM but couldn't find them so I used the EBCs someone had given me. Rode a couple hundred miles today and they seem fine.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
295 Posts
21000 miles on 2012 gw.
maint schedule says change pad at 20,000 miles
any suggestions on quality pads besides oem honda
thank you in advance
George
I don't think it says to replace the brake pads at 20,000 miles. As far as I can tell, the service manual only says to inspect the brakes every 4,000 miles. OEM brake pads will most likely last for 40,000 miles, at least that has been my experience.

I've used EBC pads too. They are okay but the organic pads don't last near as long as the OEM pads and they produce a lot more brake dust. I worry that the EBC sintered pads will wear the rotors too quickly. I stick to the OEM pads.

Reactions: Sprocketrocket55

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
EBC turned my rotors blue on my 1200, I removed them very shortly afterwards. OEM cleaned the rotors of the blue and they stopped better.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
Tried some aftermarket pads, on different bikes and always end up just taking them back off and throwing them away. Not sure what the difference is, but the OEM pads always stop quicker and more predictably.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I own three Honda's. My life is worth a few more $$ to use the OEM pads. Pound for pound, they have the best wear/braking vs aftermarket pad.

Not saying aftermarket pad won't stop the bike. I am saying the OEM pad recipe does it better.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
I tried aftermarket pads once. They did work but were noisy and I could hear a constant "whoosh" noise when using the brakes. I went back to OEM after that and have always used OEM since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts