Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm trying to get my frame cleaned up to get repainted but I am stuck at trying to find out how to get that rear brake pedal off. It is completly stuck, I need to use a sledge hammer to evern move it up or down. The spring and pins and all that are off of it. But still nothing. I'm guessing its just so coroded in there that the pedal lever is just stuck there. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get that thing out? thanks

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

If you have access to one try a ball joint breaker, similar to the ones used to change tie rod ends for cars or trucks. If clearence behind will allow then a three armed or two armed gear puller would work.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Soak it with WD40 and let it set the first GL1100 I got the brake pedal wouldn't return causing rear brake to drag, i just kept soaking it with penetrating oil. Seems this is one of the places a lot of people overlook when doing maintenance on the bike. After soaking with the oil you can also use propane torch to heat it the heating penetrating oil will help break the corrosion down. (Just Remember That Penetration Oil Is Flammable So Do The Heating With Great Care Outdoors.) Taking you time this should help you get it apart with out to much force. A bigger hammer is not always better.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Lay bike on it side..apply solvent of your choice and keep working the pedal until it loosens up a bit. Or get one of those three pronged puller deals and crank it off or use a big screw drive and pry it off after using a solvent.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Take the linkage loose from the master cylinder first to give maximum movement once broke free ,,, ,

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Another vote here for soaking in penetrating oil overnight.

If the part that you need to soak is difficult to get to or vertical, here is a tip that might help....

make up a "cup" using Plasticine or putty or even blue tack, fashioned around the part you wish to soak and then simply pour the penetrating fluid of choice into the cup and leave it so do it's stuff. Also works great as a funnel around cable surrounds, allowing the penetration fluid to soak on down the cable overnight.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

i would soak it with penatrating oil, tap on it gently with a hammer as not to destroy it but with each tap hopefuly some of the oild seeps into the voids and then let it soak for a while and try to remove it then.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

ok, since there are alot of votes for the soaking thats what I'll try first. Thanks Silverfox for the cup idea, because with out that I would of been lost in knowing how to find a way to soak it. alright I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Glad I could be of some help, that is my one tip of the year, so make the most of it!!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1:

We shall be interested to hear the outcome, so do let us know. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Mine was stuck too. I used "PB Blaster" and after a couple of days working the pedal, it was ok.

By the way, it was so stuck, I had to hit it with a rubber hammer at first.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

yea that is pretty stuck but i have to hit mine with a 10lb sledge hammer to make it move maybe half an inch up or down.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

So it does move :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

could always use diesel fuel, never had a seized not or bolt on a diesel engine

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've also had to free a frozen 1100 brake pedal. I used a heavy soft hammer and penetrating oil after removing the cotter pin, washer and spring. I also used a torch to heat the pivot up. Get it good and hot then hit it with penetrating oil. As it cools itwill have a tendency to pull the oil in. After that just keep whacking it up and down and adding oil until you can work it off. I use boat trailer wheel bearing grease on these, the stuff is more water resistant than standard grease.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.