Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

my 83 1100 linked brake system no air in lines new pads on rear front brake handle works great However foot brake works but have to push it way down to apply brakes hard. My old 82 1100 foot brake was no where near the amount of travel.

What can i do to fix it ????????????????????????????????????

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Will it pump up if pressed a number of times?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

LInked system. Chnaces are you still have air in the line.

These syatems prove to be tough because of long lines with ups and down. The air at the bottom travels up but without a strong purge the fluid will just pour down the tube leaving an air pocket up at top.
i still have air in mine cant figure how to bleed it.
Waiting for the guy that finds the 1 2 punch to bleeding.

Io was thinking creating a large vacuum with teh mighty vac then simoulatneously while cracking the bleeder open. stepping hard on teh brake. WIll check it out and update if it turns out usefull.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Bleeders....Good investment. I put them on my calipers and have no problem bleeding any air. The system is tuff to get out all the air. Once I replaced the the valves with bleeders I can do it in a few minutes.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One of the handiest tools to use bleeding Goldwing brakes is a vacuum bleeder. The MightyVac and the Harbor Freight bleeders both work well and make the job easier.

MightyVac

Harbor Freight bleeder

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

It would seem to me that for the brak sytems on gold wings the best way to bleed them would be to pump fluid into the system from the caliper. One of these days some one will come up with a device to do just that.

I am working on te brakes on my 81. My intention is to remove the entire front brake system from the bike, supend it from the rafters and leaving the bleeders open and the cover off the master cylinder so it's easy to keep it full I'm going to pump the fluid up into the lines and calipers pushing the air up and out. Kinda making gravity work for me instead of against me. The rear brake...not sure yet how I'm going to shortcut that one.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
It would seem to me that for the brak sytems on gold wings the best way to bleed them would be to pump fluid into the system from the caliper. One of these days some one will come up with a device to do just that.

I am working on te brakes on my 81. My intention is to remove the entire front brake system from the bike, supend it from the rafters and leaving the bleeders open and the cover off the master cylinder so it's easy to keep it full I'm going to pump the fluid up into the lines and calipers pushing the air up and out. Kinda making gravity work for me instead of against me. The rear brake...not sure yet how I'm going to shortcut that one.
I just finished the front brakes on my 82, essentially the same system as your 81, and starting from a completely empty system (rebuilt calipers and master cylinder, replaced brake lines) I was able to have it completely bled, by myself, using my Mity-Vac, within half an hour.

1. Fill the reservoir
2. Crack left bleeder. Use Mity-vac to suck on caliper until fluid comes out. Seal bleeder.
3. Fill the reservoir
4. Crack right bleeder. Use Mity-vac to suck on caliper until fluid comes out. Seal bleeder.
5. Fill the reservoir
6. Pump brake until no more bubbles appear in reservoir

Repeat steps 2-6 two or three times until you have a solid brake and no more air bubbles.

Without question, the Mity-vac is one of the best purchases I've made in years.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

I have access to a mighty vac..but I've got most of the system off the bike already anyway...won't take much to hang it all up and just pump fluid through. Will prolly use the mighty vac for the rear though.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
It would seem to me that for the brake sytems on gold wings the best way to bleed them would be to pump fluid into the system from the caliper. One of these days some one will come up with a device to do just that.
They do have a device to do this....
It's called a "pressure pot" or "bleeder ball"
It's an accumulator that is pressurized with compressed air and you fill it with the fluid of choice for whatever hydraulic system your working on. Hook it up to the caliper, open the check-valve and presto! your filling up the master cylinder from ground up in no time. The air has no choice but to go up!
I'm an aircraft mechanic and thats the only way you can bleed the BIG brake systems. We all know how hard it is to bleed our beloved goldwing brakes. Imagine all the up and downs and the length of hydraulic cables in a modern jetliner.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You can do that with a Mighty Vac using the reservoir that comes with it. You can use the thing to generate pressure or vacuum so you can either suck the fluid out from the caliper end or pump the stuff up the brake system from the caliper.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

sle104 wrote:
Fixed the problem by adjusting the throw on the brake pedel
Glad to hear the update on this. Here we all are flapping about bleeding brakes still and it was a simple mechanical adjustment!:D

Not a common thing that happens, was it ever apart for some reason?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.