Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

RECENTLY I HAVE NOTICED A KNOCKING NOISE IN MT FRONT ROTOR COVER WHILE EITHER APPLYING OR RELEASING FRONT BRAKE LEVER. I TOOK THE ROTOR COVERS OFF & FOUND A CALIPER ON ONE SIDE TO HAVE MORE PLAY THAN THE OTHER AT BOTH UPPER & LOWER PORTIONS OF THE MOUNTING BRACKET FOR THE CALIPER. I HAVE REMOVED & REINSTALLED BOTH BOLTS FOR THE MOUNTING BRACKET & CANT FIND HOW THIS PLAY HAS OCCURED. I WOULD GIVE YOU THE NAMES OF SOME OF THE PARTS THAT I WAS DEALING WITH BUT HEY I DUNO. FYI I AM NOT WORKING ON THIS ALONE!!!

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

my first guess is the anti dive on that fork leg is weak re weak spring the calibur is connected on the bottom bolt have you changed the pads recently they could be grabing or are not bedded in yet what state is the rotor disc should not be less than 5mm and finelythe pistons might be sticking so they are not keeping the free play out if you fill in your location there may be some one near to help

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE I HAVE NOT BEEN SUCCESFUL YET ON DOWNLOADING THE MANUAL SO I WILL PROBABLY BUY ONE SHORTLY. FRONT PADS WERE REPLACED A LITTLE BETTER THAN A YEAR AGO (5000 MILES OR LESS) & THE ROTOR HAS SLIGHT WEAR BRAKES REACT FINE HOWEVER I AM NOT SURE HOW MUCH DIVE TO EXPECT OR HOW MUCH LIFT WHEN ACCELERATING. I DO HAVE A GOOD WING MECHANIC THAT I AM CONFIDENT WILL FIX IT . I JUST LIKE GETTING MY HANDS IN IT WHEN POSSIBLE.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

93 Bluewing

Check the bearings that the caliper mounting bolts pass through,you will probably find that these are worn,I have had exactly the same problem on mine.Best to replace bearings and bolts as a set.

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

THANKS STEVE FOR YOUR RESPONSE I NOTICED ON MINE AT BOTH TOP & BOTTOM THERE WAS BUSHINGS THE BOLTS WENT THRU & ON TOP OF THE MOUNT THERE WAS A BEARING. IS THIS BEARING PRESSED IN? WHAT ABOUT THE STEM THAT COMES OUT OF THE FORK AT BOTTOM OF THE MOUNTING BRACKET(FOR ANTI DIVE ? ) HOW MUCH PLAY SHOULD THERE BE IF ANY?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

93 BLUEWING wrote:
THANKS STEVE FOR YOUR RESPONSE I NOTICED ON MINE AT BOTH TOP & BOTTOM THERE WAS BUSHINGS THE BOLTS WENT THRU & ON TOP OF THE MOUNT THERE WAS A BEARING. IS THIS BEARING PRESSED IN? WHAT ABOUT THE STEM THAT COMES OUT OF THE FORK AT BOTTOM OF THE MOUNTING BRACKET (FOR ANTI DIVE ? ) HOW MUCH PLAY SHOULD THERE BE IF ANY?
On my bike it was the top bearing /bushing that was worn.
Best way to remove them is to use a slightly larger socket at one side and a slightly smaller socket at the other.If you pass a long bolt through the middle of these and then tighten the bolt, the bearing will be forced out of the fork lug into the larger socket.Reverse this procedure to refit new bearing.I would NOT attempt to drift the bearing out as this would risk snapping the lug off the fork leg.
Same procedure could also be used to replace bearing that fits in the anti-dive link arm but you would need to use smaller sockets.
This sounds a bit Heath Robinson but it does work and eliminates any chance of breaking the fork lugs.

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Really? That is good to know.

I thought the bushings were just more like spacers. Mine just sort of fell out, and I almost lost them.

So, they do press in or should hold their own?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
Really? That is good to know.

I thought the bushings were just more like spacers. Mine just sort of fell out, and I almost lost them.

So, they do press in or should hold their own?
On my bike they are needle roller bearings and are a tolerance fit,don't know about the ones in the anti-dive piston as they are OK so not looked too closely.

Regards Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.