Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Guys I have a problem of not reading to much of what I dont know or when I cant help. Ive seen these topics before but never paid any attention to them,

It seems my rear rotor is shot. The grooves are way too deep.

A search of JC whitney and BEAVER DAM part number turn up different results.

JC shows the 1100 and 1200 aspy both share the same part yet BEAVER DAM has different part numbers.

also will any 1100 fit or only the aspy

I just spent my budget and came accross a new problem. Need to find a cheap alternmative as I have a buddy who has a few spare rotors.

i may just have to take mine to him and compare sizes((( I am still talking about the rotors):shock:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Never seen a Beaver Dam sell parts, but the rear rotor should be the same from '82 to '87. The '80 and '81 are different. The Aspencade did not have special rear rotors, just the front.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you. I got afriedn Im gonna have to pester to get that extra rotor from him.

ANd silicon , The BEAVER DAM brings so many jokes to mind, some of which I rather not bring to the forum, but I know they are spining in your mind.
Once I make sure for my self I will post if it fit and if any differences in size, thickness; again talking about the rear rotor.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Has anyone had there rotor resurfaced? I would think any shop that doe car rotors might do it.,,

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
Has anyone had there rotor resurfaced? I would think any shop that doe(s) car rotors might do it.,,
Car rotors are not solid stainless steel though.......

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I was thinking about trying that but You have to see this rotor. it looks FUBAR

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I don't think that there is enough material there to take off and still be within minimum specs........ the front rotors are thicker on a aspy than the interstate, but not in material, just the gap between the faces. Back rotors will swap I believe.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

they can be re-surfaced, but only by someone who knows how to grind down bike rotors, they cannot be turned in a lathe! having said that, only if the resurfacing stays within specs. EBC makes a rear rotor, but be prepared to spend some $$$

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Yea they have to run on a surface grinder and not a lathe.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
Yea they have to run on a surface grinder and not a lathe.
Well, I have a 10" hobby lathe, with a universal tool post grinder attachment, and, while the Goldwing rotors are over 11" dia., I have ground a few smaller diameter drums and rotors thru the years.

The set-up is quite labor intensive though. If you know of a moonlighter or retiredmachinist, they might be of some reasonable cost help to you. Its a lot faster though, if you have access to a dedicated brake machine.

Also, I think you're right, muaymendez1...if they are scored deeply, there will be no salvage opportunities...:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Luckily I have a buddy woith a few extra parts of an 1100 . I will be heading there sunday to compare. Even if it doesnt i would not pay $180 for a rotor when there are tons of 1200 sitting around rotting away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.