Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I rebuilt the rear brake caliper on my 82 Goldwing this last May and also replaced the brake pads. I started hearing a squeak/grinding noise yesterday and found the brake pads have completely worn away already. The brakes do not stick, but I believe the rear brake rotor is worn badly enough that it is eating my brake pads. I checked the rotor thickness and itneeds replaced.

I have a real nice looking rotor on a 1981 GL1100 parts bike that I would like to use. I measured the diameter of both rotors and distance between the bolt holes. Both brake rotor's appear identical, but the Honda part's manual for the bikes show a different part number for an 81rotor vs. an 82 rotor. Does anyone know if these parts are really different, or are they interchangable?

Thanks,

Dolan

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

the 82 has a 2 piston caliper. the 81 had a single piton caliper. so check the swiped area that the pads ride on. they might be different.

·
Premium Member
12,742 Posts
imported post

Many times the part # changes by the year for no apparent reason . I believe the rears may be the same . IT seams that the front ones changed the center/hub design each yr and perhaps the rear did as well . If you can lay both rotors side by side on a level surface you should be able to see if there is a change .

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys,

The swipe area looks the same. I will remove the rear brake rotors from both bikes down over the next couple of days and see if I can find any difference once they are removed.

The Goldwing has become my daily driver to work and back. I'm going through withdrawal after just 2 days already. Driving the car 40 minutes to work stinks :(

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Even pretty badly grooves shouldn't cause brake pads to wear out much earlier than non grooved rotors. Did both pads on the caliper wear down to the same or close to the same thickness?

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yes, they did.

As a side note, I did not purchase the new brake pads myself. The previous owner gave them to me when I purchased the bike. I don't know what quality the brake pads were that I put on this Spring. The pads wore evenly and I never felt that the brakes were sticking. Before I rebuilt the calipers, the rear brakes hung pretty bad, and I'm positive that the brakes haven't been sticking since the rebuild.

I'm considering just putting a new set of pads on and seeing how long they last.

--dg

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

It looks like the front pair of rotors is the same from 81 to 82, but the rear is different. 1981:MD1071 vs 1982:MD1082 according to the EBC catalog (aftermarket brakes). If the rotor is really worn, you'll need to buy a replacement, junkyard or ebay or new? I'd probably just do new pads also, but just remember, you are your sons only dad! Safety!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Hey Dolan,

Just as a note are you useing your bake brake more or less than your front? The front are to be used more as they have the most stopping power, use them in cojunction w/the rear, more to the front & less to the rear. Some people use the foot pedal more and wear out the back quick. Also use the sintered pads rather than cheap pads. much better stopping power.

:action::action::action:

As was said the grooved rotor won't cause the faster wear down unless it is warped. Did the brakes fade in and out or steady?

Stu

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The brakes were steady on the rear. When I run my hand over the rotor, I can feel a couple of slight burrs. I don't believe the rotor is warped however.

And your right, I was over using the rear brakes because I need to replace the pads on the Front.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I noticed the part numbers were different also. But the two rotors look identical. I was hoping they were interchangeable.

--dg :)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

They might be. Same height when on the bench, flat surface, where they bolt to the wheel surface to face of the rotor? That will affect the postion of the rotor to pads in the caliper. Also if the thickness(use a micrometer) is different then you would have to use the right thickness pad. The FA69 pads come in three thicknesses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.