Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am replacing my brake rotors this winter as they are below min thickness. I want to buy used ones but, how thick is a new rotor?:stumped:

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

My service manual for my 2000 A gives service limits but not maximum thickness. Hope this helps.

Service Limits:

Front - 5.0 mm ( 0.20 inches)
Rear - 6.0 mm ( 0.24 inches)

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I dug a little further and found thicknesses:

Front - 5.5 mm - 0.22 inch

Rear - 7.3 to 7.7mm - 0.29 to 0.30 inch.

These are listed for a 2000 Aspencade. Not sure if others are the same. You may want to check at Honda Direct Line and see if part numbers are the same for whatever year you have.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Why search for used ones? I know a little money would be saved but this component affects safety. I just purchased new rotors from CycleMax at a great price. Seems like one would end up changing used rotors at the same rate as buying one set of new rotors; I hope that makes sense. In other words, the used rotors would wear out and you would need to find more while new new rotors would last a while.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I might agree, but it depends on his situation. Cyclemax wants $350 for a front set, while there is a front set on Ebay for $160. I have bought wheels and rotors for the 1200's and the 1500's and never had to replace them yet. Just make sure they are straight and still above the minimum thickness.

Depends on what you want.

http://tiny.pl/sf56

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I guess that is probably ok if they are straight, etc. Perhaps using a soft EBC pad and not the EBC HH? Replacing pads ocassionaly is cheaper.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I do not think there is a such thing as a "good deal" for OEM or aftermarkets parts.

When I can get rotors for a car (massive and machined in comparison) for $20-$40, I think the cost of these Goldwing rotors are absolutely absurd!

I sort of hate to get used parts and especially rotors, and you can not get them turned.

Cost is relative and a deciding factor.

E-bay for me, and I hope for the best. So far, so good, and I try to obtain spares to keep on hand. I have been lucky in auction(s) for $15 - $30. If they were a lot higher, yes I would resort to the aftermarkets - cursing.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I understand where you are coming from. My guess is that not as many GW rotors are sold as say a Honda car rotor. A vendor has to pay someone to have a minimum number made with all the mounting holes, etc. I think that most of the one piece rotors are laser cut to save cost. Seems like it is all about supply and demand.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

True, but still ,even though it maybe based on price and demand, Goldwing rotors are some of the highest priced aftermarket disks on this earth. Looking at other MC disks, they are not priced as high. Sort of like having a Cadillac or Corvette in the old days...just because of the name, you are going to pay. I wonder if EBS is in Mexico or China. If so, they are not nearly cheap enough as an aftermarket. Dar-n distribution network with there price percentage profit margin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.