Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Im putting new rubber on the rear of my 84 Interstate,and noticed that there was guit a difference in wear between the two brake pads.Im assuming thats its just a piston problem,so am going to rebuild the caliper.Any other sugestions.the two bolts that the brake rides on seem to be well lubricated.I hope this is the problem..........P.S:please dont ask me what type of rubber Im putting back on,I haveno idea,there too many pros and cons to every type or tire(tyre???)Bob

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

It's common enough for the pad on the piston side to wear down faster than on the other side, but it won't do any harm to at least squeeze the brake pedal until the pistons move out a bit (without popping them out altogether) and then clean them off with a petrol or cellulose thinners soaked rag.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

BenMC is hot on the trail. :clapper: The pistons must return to the "neutral" position when the brake pedal is released which is controlled by several actions. The mount pins & bushings are cushioned by rubber which gives when compressed, returning to it's oringinal form when released. Motion of the disc pushing against the pads, which pushes against the caliper pistons. Finally, the pressure of the brake fluid itself drops to "0" (zero), taking the lateral insertion force away from the caliper pistons allowing enough free play for the pads to remain justclear of the disc. This gives the wheel disc enough clearance to rotate freely. There are no return springs or levers to do this so the calipers will compensate for pad wear and maintain a hard pedal when activated.

You mentioned the pins were lubricated, but were they clean? May I suggest you dissassemble the caliper pins, bushings and seals, completely clean & re-lubricate them and re-install. The pads should continue to wear the same amount on both sides at the same time. If you find the pads are binding or dragging after assembly, the calipers should be taken apart, cleaned and re-built. Install new pads if you do this. Good Luck and (as always) please keep us informed of your progress...:)

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Guy's,Im just goin to re-build and be done with it,after all,everthings apart now right,may as well do it.Even if all it needed was a cleaning,its worth the peice of mind..........thanks again.........now for the rubber decision(lol)........Bob(Bigman)

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Hi,

I rebuilt my calipers, and after advice from a heck of a guy at the local Honda dealer, I went ahead and replaced the rubber bushings/seals on the slider pins. That alone made a HUGE difference. Mine were lubed, but the rubber was old and didn't want to flex quite enough.

Just my two cents.

Jack

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hey Jack,thanks,and btw,a few cents worth of advice could save somone hundreds ofdollars...........Ill take any or all of the"two cents worth" I can !.......thanks again everyone,what a great forum...............Bigman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.