Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I noticed reading through the pages that some people have paid mention to the very good brakes that their wings have. I have an '86 Asp and you really have to squeeze hard to get just alright braking, I need to use the back brake at the same time to get a good braking action. Do you think there is something wrong.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

If you have a nice hard pedal and lever and still take ages to stop, it might be time to strip out the pistons from the callipers and clean them up. The Brakes on any Goldwings except the 1800 are what I'd call more acceptable than brilliant, so when you get any drop off from sticking pistons or bad brake fluid it makes a big difference for the worse.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for that Ted. The front feels a bit spongy at times and other times it feels harder and the lever doesn't go in as far. Could this be air maybe. I have worked at cars over the years but not with bikes. I bought a 1200GL manual on ebay last week and intend to get a Haynes manual to get me going plus all the help with the forum.

Thanks again

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hello there Keith. The brakes on the 1200 aren't as good as a car (no servo etc) with all the weight, but ifyou bleed them first careefully then you should see some benefit. It takes a bit of TLC to keep the brakes on teh 1100 and 1200 Wings working well.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

After you bleed your system and make sure that the caliper's pistons aren't sticking, you might consider investing in some stainless steel lines. I recently put them on my '83 I and think that I've got all the brakes that can be produced by the system. I can lock up the brakes if I want(which I don't, mind you:D).

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the help. I just had the feeling there might have been a bit of air in the system. I will get on to bleeding them and see what difference that makes. There is 41,000 on the clock but she has a few noises about it that concern me, but bit by bit I hope to get things sorted. I wasfollowed into where I liveyesterday by someone thinking I was someone else on their wing, ended up having a good chat. They are in the GWOCNI so got a bit of info about the club and the outings they have.

What a great little community you all are.

Speak soon (or ask questions soon I should say)

Keith

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't hurt to look at the rotors and pads, it they are polished from the pads dragging a bit of fine sand paper on them to break up the glaze will help.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Keith, if you look up Littlejohn in the forum members list and send him a PM, he will be able to help you with info on the GWOCNI. I think he is the Chairman of the club (although I'm not sure) so he will be able to answer any questions. :)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi Kieth,

when you do your brakes and pistons etc. Don't forget to make sure that the sliding pins actualy slide, they normally get forgotten so the whole caliper remains in the applied position instead of 'sliding' back to off.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I'm with Hobie. I put stainless steel braided lines on my '83 and the first night I went out to test the brakes, I came up to a stop light and wanted to see what would happen under panic braking. I locked up the wheels, and it wasn't a feeling I want to repeat. But now I have all the brakes I could possibly need.

I also put on some Speed Bleeders to make bleeding really easy.

Raymond

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.