Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Was wondering if anyone can tell me approximately how much (if any) drag is acceptable in front and rear brakes. The bike seems to roll okay, but on the stand when turning the front or rear wheel by hand it definitely doesn't free spin continuosly, and after a ride, disc seems a bit hot. Pads on all look fairly thick and brakes appear to be working just fine. Since I've got bags and all off at the moment, now would be an execellent time to strip off the calipers and clean them out as I've seen in so many posts here. Just not sure if the wheels should actually free spin or if it's normal for the pads to actually ride the disc. Sorry for the stupid question...heheh. Just couldn't find it in any of the posts, and don't want to disable the bike for a bit if it's unnecessary.

Opps...sorry...it's on an 83 A
Thanks,

LarryG

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Larry, Honda does not show a specification of acceptable drag on the brake system. There will be some as the disc pads never come completely off the rotor. When you release the pedal, the pressure is removed from the system but the pads do not back off the rotor. That said, with mine up on the lift, if I spin the wheels by hand, I will see approximately one rotation before the wheel stops. This is because the pads are dragging on the rotors.

If you do not know when the brakes were gone through, this would be an excellent time to do so. Pull the calipers and rebuild them andchange the brake fluid. A word of caution, get some help form someone on this board that has an '83 because the size of the caliper pistons changed in '83 and from what I can tell, not even Honda is sure which ones they used that year. Don't let that worry you, many folks on the board have rebuilt the brakes on their '83 and someone will be able to tell you the parts you will need.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

LarryG wrote:
Was wondering if anyone can tell me approximately how much (if any) drag is acceptable in front and rear brakes. The bike seems to roll okay, but on the stand when turning the front or rear wheel by hand it definitely doesn't free spin continuosly, and after a ride, disc seems a bit hot. Pads on all look fairly thick and brakes appear to be working just fine. Since I've got bags and all off at the moment, now would be an execellent time to strip off the calipers and clean them out as I've seen in so many posts here. Just not sure if the wheels should actually free spin or if it's normal for the pads to actually ride the disc. Sorry for the stupid question...heheh. Just couldn't find it in any of the posts, and don't want to disable the bike for a bit if it's unnecessary.

Thanks,

LarryG
Larry, as jackjohn said there will beslight amount of drag as there is no actual spring return on disc brakes. Seeing as you are checking with the load off the wheels there will be some drag evident. Now while the wheels are on the ground & being driven there will be slightly less drag as the slight amount of wheel flex & slight movement of thewheelson the bearings allow a little pad kick back. Also when making stops the brakes & rotors heat & expand then shrink slightly as they cool after usage.

Probably a better test of real world brake drag would be to ride the bike then coast to a stop.. At that time jack the bike up & do your spin test. Another way is to do coast down test. To do that, ride up to a normal speed on a level stretch of road then at a given marker pull the clutch in & shift to neutral,, then just see how far it coasts.. Then pry the brake pads back & do an identical speed, road, marker repeat.. If about the same coast down then you don't have significant brake drag.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Hi Larry,

You mention it doesn't free spin continuously when on the stand. Over one full wheelrevolution, is itcontinuously quite hard to rotate or does itfree and bind? If the symptom is more like the second case, it could be that the disc has become slightly warped.

Also, Ibelieve one of the frontbrakes islinked and operated off the rear brake on the '83 models,by removing one caliper at a time and rotating the wheel by handyou might be able to pin-point the cause.

Cheers

FX

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

LarryG wrote:
Since I've got bags and all off at the moment, now would be an execellent time to strip off the calipers and clean them out as I've seen in so many posts here. Just not sure if the wheels should actually free spin or if it's normal for the pads to actually ride the disc. Sorry for the stupid question...heheh. Just couldn't find it in any of the posts, and don't want to disable the bike for a bit if it's unnecessary.
Thanks,
LarryG
It doesn't sound like you're brakes are dragging seriously Larry. Check to see if the calipers are free and not frozen in place, they should have some side to side play. If the pads on both side of the caliper look about the same thickness they are probably okay. If the calipers haven't been serviced in several years it wouldn't hurt to take them apart, clean things up and reassemble with new seals. Seals run around $17 per set from Honda.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Larry, the back wheel will normally spin almost a full turn. If the disc is warped you should hear a rub-rub sound each time the high spot hots the pads.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

As a long time Chassis Systems Brake Engineer I have to weigh in......... while it is true that there is no TRADITIONAL spring to return the caliper pistons and get the pads off the rotors, the square cut seal in the caliper bore is actually shaped to perform what we call "pull back" after a brake application. This element of the brake system is tuneable - you want some pullback but not too much, else pedal (lever) feel goes to hell.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

LarryG,

I too had some brake drag on my 84 Aspy. I could hear the rear brake dragging on the rotor. I pulled both my rear wheel and front wheel for tire changes and while doing this. pulled all 3 calipers apart. I did not remove the calipers from the bike, just pulled the pins and the pads. I cleaned all with brake cleaner and wiped everything down to make sure all gook and grime was gone. I then wiped a light coat of DOT 4 brake fluid on the exposed part of the caliper pistons before pushing them back into the calipers. I applied a very light coat of synthetic grease to the pins that hold the pads. I re-assembled everything and the brakes release quite nicely now and I have no brake rubbing noise.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks all,

Haven't taken them off yet, due to severe thunderstorms here in the desert. Waiting it out. Seems as soon as my weekend comes around the weather goes into full alert and decides to deny me a sunny day:) got leaks in my roof.....ughhhhhh!

Anyways...Seems to spin for about one complete turn, so apparently that is what is normal. Still gonna take em apart tho, as it appears the calipers are gonna need some proddong to come off the rotor. I'm just such a wuss anymore about bikes it seems. Nervous Nelly due to the age of the bike and it's weight. Time I change out all the things that are unnerving about this bike, wheel wobbles, draggy brakes, forks, bearings and such, it'll be more than the bike is worth! The only thing that keeps me goin is the pics on the board of Happy, Smiling peopleriding around in the sunshine and logging thousands of mileson bikes as old as mine!.

Guess somewhere along the line when I wasn't lookin...I became..OLD. Was a time when I would just give the tires a good jerk a few times, hop on the danged thing, and just ride it till the little needle pegged, laughing my butt off the whole way. Well...I still kinda do that...:) but SOLO. Common sense has reared it's ugly head though, cause I SURE don't wanna get that girl that rides on the back that Icall WIFEup on the Aspy till I know she's safe and sound. Someday.

Thanks again all for the replies, you guys are the greatest!

LarryG

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

LarryG wrote:
Thanks all,

Haven't taken them off yet, due to severe thunderstorms here in the desert. Waiting it out. Seems as soon as my weekend comes around the weather goes into full alert and decides to deny me a sunny day:) got leaks in my roof.....ughhhhhh!

Anyways...Seems to spin for about one complete turn, so apparently that is what is normal. Still gonna take em apart tho, as it appears the calipers are gonna need some proddong to come off the rotor. I'm just such a wuss anymore about bikes it seems. Nervous Nelly due to the age of the bike and it's weight. Time I change out all the things that are unnerving about this bike, wheel wobbles, draggy brakes, forks, bearings and such, it'll be more than the bike is worth! The only thing that keeps me goin is the pics on the board of Happy, Smiling peopleriding around in the sunshine and logging thousands of mileson bikes as old as mine!.

Guess somewhere along the line when I wasn't lookin...I became..OLD. Was a time when I would just give the tires a good jerk a few times, hop on the danged thing, and just ride it till the little needle pegged, laughing my butt off the whole way. Well...I still kinda do that...:) but SOLO. Common sense has reared it's ugly head though, cause I SURE don't wanna get that girl that rides on the back that Icall WIFEup on the Aspy till I know she's safe and sound. Someday.

Thanks again all for the replies, you guys are the greatest!

LarryG
Larry, a lot has to do with how often & much you ride. I ride almost everywhere & almost every day (except ice) & I hardly ever look the bike over before riding. I just grab it & go. If something is wrong it won't feel the same or feel right so then I look for what is different. The more you use that Wing the more you will trust it.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

As everyone else has mentioned a small amount of drag is normal. I did find recently on my 1200, however that the pin on the caliper (which should allow for movemnt) was all corroded and hanging up.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

I find that if I leave a Goldwing sitting all week and only use it at weekends, the callipers evetually seize up and have to be stripped and cleaned. I guess its a better idea to ride them more often.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Had a similar problem with my 82 that sat for 17 years. I had to replace all 4 brake lines because they were all plugged.

HEL Performance. $200.00

Kaine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.